Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
SideStitches
Casting On

followed pattern and somehow have about 7 rows too many
Re-establish Round and Create Gusset:
Knit all heel stitches. Using that same needle, pick up and knit 15 stitches along selvedge edge at side of heel, using slipped stitches as a guide.

I've picked up 15 stitches, but still have about 7 stitches to pick up before I get to the 33 stitches on the holder. In the directions prior to shaping the heel, I did 21 rows of stocking stitches, so it seems like I should be picking up at least 21 stitches.

Any advice?
SideStitches is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

Very difficult to provide advice without seeing the pattern ...
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
SideStitches
Casting On

Here is the pattern from beginning to just past where I am stuck
Cast 60 stitches onto a single needle. Distribute stitches evenly across 3 needles. Join, being careful not to twist.

Work 15 cm/6 inches of K3 P1 ribbing, as follows:

Round 1: *K3, p1; repeat from * to end of round. Repeat this for every round.

Turn Heel:
This portion is worked flat in plain stocking stitch.

Knit first 27 stitches. Put remaining 33 stitches onto a holder. Starting with a purl row, work 21 rows of stocking stitch, slipping the first stitch of every row. The right side is facing for next row.

RS: Knit 18 stitches, SKP, turn
WS: Slip 1, purl 9 stitches, p2tog, turn
RS: Slip 1, knit 9 stitches, SKP, turn

Repeat last two rows until all stitches have been worked. Ensure right side is facing for next row. 11 stitches remain on the needle.

Re-establish Round and Create Gusset:
Knit all heel stitches. Using that same needle, pick up and knit 15 stitches along selvedge edge at side of heel, using slipped stitches as a guide. With a new needle, work in pattern across the 33 stitches of instep – those stitches that you’d set aside on the stitch holder. Using another new needle, pick up and knit 15 stitches along selvedge edge at other side of heel, using slipped stitches as a guide. Work 6 stitches from the first needle.

The beginning of the round is now at the centre of the heel. There should be 20 stitches on the first needle, the 33 stitches of the instep on the second, and 21 on the third. Rearrange the stitches if you need to.

From here on in, the 33 instep stitches will be worked in the rib pattern, and the gusset and sole will be worked in stocking stitch – that is, knitting every round.
SideStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,973 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
When you pick up sts to knit the gusset, you're picking up in the slipped stitch edge plus maybe an extra stitch or so at the ends.
The slipped sts span 2 rows so you're not really picking up a stitch in each row but in every other row.
There should be slipped sts along the heel flap and at the turn. That's about 10-11sts picked up along the heel and the rest of the 15 where the heel turned. See if this video helps with the idea of the picked-up gusset sts.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...heel-of-a-sock