Old 08-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
rattiebabe2002
Casting On

Does anyone know the name or own this afghan pattern?
I found this partially finished afghan at a garage sale. Two very elderly women had died and their sons had just tossed all their things together and this multi panel an one finished edge panel was in the mix. I found it in a box with all the supplies plus extra knitting needles, etc. Only thing missing was the pattern. The finished edge panel was eight middle diamonds long and had 2 cables on one side. Each small diamond has bobbles on the purl side.
My mother has been slowly trying reverse engineer it and write out the pattern on the one section that was 2/3rds finished.We've both been searching pictures to try to find this pattern. She's even learned some stitches from it that she'd never seen before.
So does anyone know or have a copy of this pattern or even seen it before? Some stitches have been lifted from previous rows to give an outline to the diamonds. I have more pictures if needed.
We've tried "aran""cable""diamond""knit""knitted""bobble" in all sorts of combinations and only came up with close looks a likes.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	afghan1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	56932  Click image for larger version

Name:	afghan2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	56933  Click image for larger version

Name:	afghan3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	56934  
rattiebabe2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
Thank you for rescuing this beautiful afghan. It's lovely work. A quick survey of Ravelry turned didn't turn up the pattern. It's possible that an experienced knitter put together some favorite stitch patterns. Someone else may well recognize the pattern though.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
rattiebabe2002
Casting On

Thank You.
That's what I was afraid of, it being an the previous knitters mind only. I would like to say that the sons weren't unkind to anyone or their mothers' possessions, they were just overwhelmed with the amount; and disorganization.
I saw the finished piece and thought it was just a beautiful old shawl tossed on an old box of things by itself until I saw the partially finished piece with 20 more skeins of yarn underneath it. It seemed to be the only project with more than 50 percent of it's parts.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,129 Times in 2,638 Posts
20 more? Wow. I spent some time looking at vintage patterns to see if anything looked similar but no luck. Maybe someone will stumble across something and remember this thread. I wish you the best of luck in figuring it out.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
rattiebabe2002
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
20 more? Wow. I spent some time looking at vintage patterns to see if anything looked similar but no luck. Maybe someone will stumble across something and remember this thread. I wish you the best of luck in figuring it out.
Yup. 20 untouched skeins still in the plastic packets of 6 or 8. I can't quite remember. One packet was opened though and there was only a few yards left of the last skein used on the partial piece.
The maker had used needle tip guards and stitch counters to keep track and I was amazed that no stiches had been lost in any form. All in all I gained about 8 pairs of needles, matching colors and mixed, a couple pairs of stitch guard things (I call them rubber bullets so my husband figures out what I'm looking for), one circular needle, two stitch counters, and a pair of needles my mother donated to me to basicly finish what became a pair of every size Long needle set. I had some sizes previously that helped fill it out.
My best friend and husband saw me digging though the pile and laughed until they saw things they "needed" to look at.
Also I seem to have temporarily lost everything due to having a estatic mother snagging it for a summer time challenge.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

That's quite a haul! Good for you. As for your mom...moms in general are incorrigible. Grammas are worse.

I grabbed some stuff from a free box recently and found out the bottle with the metal mix-it-all-up thing inside don't come cheap. A smaller one I saw was going for about $10.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
rattiebabe2002
Casting On

That's quite a haul! Good for you. As for your mom...moms in general are incorrigible. Grammas are worse.

I grabbed some stuff from a free box recently and found out the bottle with the metal mix-it-all-up thing inside don't come cheap. A smaller one I saw was going for about $10.
She is a gramma as well. My Brother has a couple sons. I believen she's been waiting for a project and has gifts made for christmas and birthdays for the next year. My new hubby recieved his first ever homemade pair of socks on his birthday a couple weeks back that she started the day after our wedding in june.
So I agree that she was probably due and had no major heartache turning it over to her for a while. I know its safe and that she's having many happy hours deconstructing and writting it all down as she goes.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Are you trying to figure out how the different parts are done or have you given that up and are only trying to find a complete pattern for the afghan? I've never done bobbles but had to go look and see how they're made. I think I'm going to try to do that diamond. It has been calling my name and tapping me on the shoulder.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
rattiebabe2002
Casting On

Are you trying to figure out how the different parts are done or have you given that up and are only trying to find a complete pattern for the afghan? I've never done bobbles but had to go look and see how they're made. I think I'm going to try to do that diamond. It has been calling my name and tapping me on the shoulder.
I believe she's been looking for the whole pattern. I have been atleast through image searches.
Gargage sales are heartbreaking and amazing for the "crafts" I've seen. I'd have passed this one up if I hadn't seen that it was mroe than 50% complete as a "kit". I would have just saved the finished panel and used it as a shawl.
As for the diamonds. I'd never see the gaps left and the lifted stitches before, mom had and dover for her dictionary to remember how to do them.
The Following User Says Thank You to rattiebabe2002 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (08-19-2013)