Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Whoever knew pinto beans could taste so good?
I am salivating just thinking about these beans. Earlier in the week we cooked some garbanzo beans and made salads with them several nights in a row. Well, DH was inspired, plus there were no more cooked beans, so he started soaking pinto beans this morning. I had pulled out the pressure cooker earlier in the week for the garbanzo beans, so I figured I would cook the pintos up tonight. DH threw in some bacon, we cut an onion into eighths, and added some cumin and a little olive oil, OMG!
DH remarked he had never successfully cooked beans before, well, the pressure cooker does the trick. We each had a small serving, essentially our dessert, a little freshly ground sea salt and pepper, and some bean juice, voila! So very simple, but the flavor, amazing!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,057 Times in 2,569 Posts
They're better done in a pressure cooker? I never soak the beans before I cook them, I think they taste better if I don't. I start them in cold water, bring to simmer, add some cold water, repeat 2 or 3 times and then finish cooking them on low heat.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
I am salivating just thinking about these beans. Earlier in the week we cooked some garbanzo beans and made salads with them several nights in a row. Well, DH was inspired, plus there were no more cooked beans, so he started soaking pinto beans this morning. I had pulled out the pressure cooker earlier in the week for the garbanzo beans, so I figured I would cook the pintos up tonight. DH threw in some bacon, we cut an onion into eighths, and added some cumin and a little olive oil, OMG!
DH remarked he had never successfully cooked beans before, well, the pressure cooker does the trick. We each had a small serving, essentially our dessert, a little freshly ground sea salt and pepper, and some bean juice, voila! So very simple, but the flavor, amazing!
Those sound marvelous. I'll have to give your recipe a go, Claire!

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
They're better done in a pressure cooker? I never soak the beans before I cook them, I think they taste better if I don't. I start them in cold water, bring to simmer, add some cold water, repeat 2 or 3 times and then finish cooking them on low heat.
GG, I do my beans the same way as you. I'm a HUGE wuss when it comes to pressure cookers. Not much scares me more than spiders except using a pressure cooker. My roommate in college had one and it went KABOOM in our apartment while she was cooking. I'll wait a few hours cooking by stove, or use a crock-pot, thankyouverymuch.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Years ago I had a pressure cooker that would fry chicken under pressure. That was good chicken. It would do a pot roast in about 20 minutes and it came out so good. It had a bar across the top that would keep it from hitting the ceiling if it were to try to explode but there was also a back up pressure relief system in it. I wish I still had it. I think my ex sent it to the dump.

Charlotte, your sig line.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

i just bring them to a boil, boil about an hour, then simmer the rest the day- onions, garlic and a little tobasco...and cornbread of course! yep, i am leary of pressure cookers too
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to artsy1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Beans, beans, the magical fruit
The more you eat the more you ----

Well, you know how that jingle goes.

My husband tells me that soaking the beans quiets that music down.

I had another pressure cooker in my younger days, no idea where it ended up. It had the little pressure thingamajig on top, don't know if they still make them like that.

I've never had one explode on me, I use a dollop of vegetable oil when cooking beans because the hole that the steam escapes from can clog easily. Probably would explode if the hole was clogged. My mother used a pressure cooker when I was young without any issues so they never really scared me, but I've seen pictures of what an explosion looks like
Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Years ago I had a pressure cooker that would fry chicken under pressure. That was good chicken. It would do a pot roast in about 20 minutes and it came out so good. It had a bar across the top that would keep it from hitting the ceiling if it were to try to explode but there was also a back up pressure relief system in it. I wish I still had it. I think my ex sent it to the dump.

Charlotte, your sig line.
Re: sig line, Gracias, GG. I think the only thing crazier than trying to knit while drinking is tinking while drinking. Yes, I have been that crazy, though not recently.

I'm sure there are other very good reasons your ex is an ex, but sending a favored piece of cookware to the dump would burn me up enough to contribute to the split up.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Today's menu: New Orleans White Beans with Rice
Claire, Husband thanks you for inspiring me! White beans (great northerns) slow cooked with ham hocks, onion, garlic, celery and cayenne.YUM!!!

I'm bypassing the highly flavorful but artery clogging soul food method of thickening with lard by using the ham hocks, wee bit of fat from them plus a bit of gelatin action from the bones of the hocks is the next best thing.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Claire, Husband thanks you for inspiring me! White beans (great northerns) slow cooked with ham hocks, onion, garlic, celery and cayenne.YUM!!!

I'm bypassing the highly flavorful but artery clogging soul food method of thickening with lard by using the ham hocks, wee bit of fat from them plus a bit of gelatin action from the bones of the hocks is the next best thing.
What time's dinner and please email me directions to your house. Oh, does that sound good! Did you ever watch Hee Haw? Makes me think of, Hey, Grampa, what's for supper?

Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post

Hey, we're all crashing your house for dinner Seriously, yum

And I'll bring the beverages - I purchased a watermelon yesterday, juiced it this afternoon, knowing that DH would make us fresh watermelon juice mojitos It is officially the cocktail hour