Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
Oh no this bra wasn't going to be for me, I was going to make it for my sister and she's not nearly big in the chest like I am. I'll try Local thank you very much
DH came up with an awesome idea for underwires if some aren't readily available locally - take them from an existing bra! Hmmm, maybe from a clearance special from WalMart, if this is a surprise gift for your sister. And how nice that DH is smart enoughg to think of that. I think he's a keeper!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
MissMurder (08-20-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
After a point IMO it's all super industrial strength support structure. I think that's how it works. E = DD, F = DDD and OMG do I feel sorry for anyone who might need larger than that comes next.

Since it's a gift, I think I might try blocking it just to give it that brand new gift look. Things always look so nice brand new and fresh out of the package.
LOL!! Ok thank you. I would say it would be hell finding a bra to fit larger sizes but with fake chests I won't.
MissMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
DH came up with an awesome idea for underwires if some aren't readily available locally - take them from an existing bra! Hmmm, maybe from a clearance special from WalMart, if this is a surprise gift for your sister. And how nice that DH is smart enoughg to think of that. I think he's a keeper!
Oh well that's a great idea, I certainly wouldn't have thought of that on my own. I feel soooo incredibly stupid for asking this, but who is DH?... I haven't been around that long and about the only people who have helped me are GG, salmonmac, Jan from CA, and you.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
DH means Dear, Darling, or depending on you mood pick another d word, Husband. You'll see it a lot here. Change the H to another letter(s) and you have Daughter or Son, Granddaughter or Grandson, or......

ETA I forgot why I came back to this thread just now. I looked up the yarn used in the pattern and it's machine wash/dry flat. In that case blocking would indeed be essential.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
MissMurder (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #25
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

DH means Dear, Darling, or depending on you mood pick another d word, Husband. You'll see it a lot here. Change the H to another letter(s) and you have Daughter or Son, Granddaughter or Grandson, or......

ETA I forgot why I came back to this thread just now. I looked up the yarn used in the pattern and it's machine wash/dry flat. In that case blocking would indeed be essential.
Oh, ok thank you for both the explainations. As for the yarn I wasn't planning on using the same one... so in saying that, does it still matter? or only if it's a flat dry yarn?
The Following User Says Thank You to MissMurder For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-21-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #26
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

I have to ask her what her size is since she lives in Cali and I live in Maine I have no way to casually look in her drawer so see... so I don't think I can make it a surprise. I have another bra I want to make for myself but stupid me, I forgot to write where I found it!!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #27
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
Oh, ok thank you for both the explainations. As for the yarn I wasn't planning on using the same one... so in saying that, does it still matter? or only if it's a flat dry yarn?
People who block their knitting routinely would block it, I think. As you said (I think) that your yarn will go in the dryer then I'd say it's a personal call. For presentation as a gift, blocking would probably give it a nice finishing touch. If you block the cups you must tell how you do it! If I made one for me I'd have to line it with the carbon fiber they use for jets.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

People who block their knitting routinely would block it, I think. As you said (I think) that your yarn will go in the dryer then I'd say it's a personal call. For presentation as a gift, blocking would probably give it a nice finishing touch. If you block the cups you must tell how you do it! If I made one for me I'd have to line it with the carbon fiber they use for jets.
Ok then I'll try blocking it when I'm done and tell how it turns out, cross your fingers I don't screw this up! You could always go and find that, it shouldn't be too difficult to find :P
Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

If I made one for me I'd have to line it with the carbon fiber they use for jets.
GG, that's a great one - I just snorted my coffee!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #30
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

GG, that's a great one - I just snorted my coffee!
Yeah? Well, it's easy for you to laugh, it's only funny because it's true! I'm sorry you understand.