Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
sally20
Casting On

new to knitting where to go now??
I just starting knitting last week. The closest class is an hour away so I'm relying on internet to help me learn. I've learned knit and purl but it seems like everything justjumps from learning those to nothing in between beginner and intermediate stuff. I have no idea what I should do now! What are your suggestions? My husband is itching for a big comfy blanket hahaha!! So I gotta get with it thanks for any help also what books can you recommend because I have limited data package online :(

Last edited by sally20 : 08-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.
sally20 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,250 Times in 2,746 Posts
Congratulations on learning to knit and welcome to the wonderful wacky world of knitting. What are you interested in? Some people start with a scarf in garter stitch which is knitting every row. Some people will do stockinette, alternating knit and purl rows, but that curls so if you make something in stockinette you'll want to be aware. Dishcloths are a hot topic here these days and they're small and fairly quick to finish and can give you opportunity to try some different stitch combinations. The only way to learn to knit is to knit and the only way to learn to knit better is to knit some more so pick something and jump in. You can ask any questions you have here too.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-21-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

If you can knit and purl, everything else is a combination of those. Even the scary-sounding increases and decreases are knitting two stitches together or knitting two in one (or doing a yarn over to add one, which is no big deal either.) You've got it, honest. Now all you need to do is wrap your mind around the way patterns are written and/or charted. Everybody here will help you, we have tons of videos (I used to go to the library and watch before our broadband provider started the late night free zone) and you never have to feel silly about a mistake because it's highly unlikely you'll make one that I, or somebody else here, hasn't.

Dishcloths are nice. Fifteen dishcloths knitted in the comfy yarn of your choice and sewn together equal an afghan I
'd pick your favorite color or something you use around the house a lot and get a light, a medium and a dark shade of it, in a smooth solid yarn that isn't too thin (wait a while before you tackle variegated or fuzzy yarn, because at this point you probably need to see your stitches clearly.) The squares can be as simple or as complicated as you want--there are thousands of free patterns around for them, and they're good portable projects. Just pick patterns meant to come out about the same size, and you'll have an afghan before it gets chilly!
sally20 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
sally20
Casting On

I am confused about reading the patterns and what all the abbreviations mean. And as far as sewing the squares together is that actual hand sewing as in single needle and thread? I feel dumb for asking lol I'm still just trying to wrap my head around all the lingo! :-)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,250 Times in 2,746 Posts
There's no need to feel silly, in a way you're setting out to learn a new language peculiar to knitting. Check the Glossary button at the top for help with abbreviations, what they mean and how to do it, and always, always feel free to ask questions here. Sewing things together is usually done with a large needle, commonly called a tapestry or yarn needle, and yarn. There are different ways to stitch things together, but you don't really need to worry about that just yet.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Hi Sally, and welcome! There are no dumb questions here and everyone is willing to help! I taught myself to knit in June, and I still look up some of the abbreviations and and ask lots of questions. I made a lot of dish clothes!! I just finished my first project other than a dishcloth, it's a baby blanket. I practice a lot. Good luck!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

The abbreviations won't bother you for long. It's all just shorthand for knit this many, purl this many, and occasionally do something else that sounds weird but won't be after you try it. If you like, you can look up the abbreviations on your patterns before you start and write them out so you'll be confident. We've all been where you are, and even now, some pattern designers aren't too clear about what they take for granted...and then there are typos. Hoo boy, re there typos! When you get stuck or even just concerned, we'll all help.

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to learn to recognize what a knit stitch looks like and what a purl looks like. Also, realize that the back of a knit is a purl and the back of a purl is a knit. You're still just pulling one loop of yarn through another.

How you join projects that are made in pieces can be a whole subject in itself, but usually it's best to use yarn instead of thread. In case you're wondering...yes, I did that once too. At least that was easy to fix when the knitted afghan pieces stretched and popped the thread. Hey, the pattern just said "sew together" and didn't say how!
justplaincharlotte (08-21-2013), sally20 (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
sally20
Casting On

Thanks. I am trying a sample piece rib knit. Lol don't take Benadryl and try to knit! I destroyed a couple rows last night! Is it a must to get the string wrapped around your finger right away or does it matter? Yesterday I was trying to figure out the best way for me and one row ended up so tight I could barely knit the next row.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

We all hold the yarn a little differently. I don't wrap it at all--the pressure of my fingers and the drag of the yarn help keep tension. Honest, there's no wrong way to do it if it looks right when it's done and your hands don't hurt.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by sally20 View Post
Thanks. I am trying a sample piece rib knit. Lol don't take Benadryl and try to knit! I destroyed a couple rows last night! Is it a must to get the string wrapped around your finger right away or does it matter? Yesterday I was trying to figure out the best way for me and one row ended up so tight I could barely knit the next row.
Benadryl and knitting don't go together well. Nor does wine and knitting.

Becky has it spot on, wrap the yarn as you need to around your finger. I don't wrap the yarn. I weave it over my middle finger, but under my other fingers, like an upside down U. It takes a little while to figure out the way of wrapping that works best for you.

Welcome and have fun learning to knit!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote