Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,751
Thanks: 1,995
Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Knitting in art
I thought you might like to take a peek at this. I'm going to look at more of the photos later.
http://www.danielaedburg.com/
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
claireweber (08-24-2013), jinxnit55 (08-24-2013), justplaincharlotte (08-24-2013)

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset
 
justplaincharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,854
Thanks: 2,734
Thanked 962 Times in 830 Posts
Some of them on the first page are a bit disturbing: the mock up of Andrew Wyeth's " Christina's World" with the empty clothes, and the scarecrow with the oddly long sleeves. <Shudder!>
__________________
Charlotte

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,751
Thanks: 1,995
Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Some of them on the first page are a bit disturbing: the mock up of Andrew Wyeth's " Christina's World" with the empty clothes, and the scarecrow with the oddly long sleeves. <Shudder!>
I've not looked closely yet, I still have to do it. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll be prepared.
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset
 
justplaincharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,854
Thanks: 2,734
Thanked 962 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I've not looked closely yet, I still have to do it. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll be prepared.
GG - it might just be my own skewed way of seeing things. Art is absolutely a YMMV proposition.
__________________
Charlotte

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,751
Thanks: 1,995
Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
I saw the original link on FB, via Lion Brand I think, to a picture that made me think of Miss Haversham sitting by the table with the wedding cake in Great Expectations and looked at some of the shots on the first page. I'm glad I'd seen what you wrote. They are disturbing. I think one of the things that makes them so disturbing is that they reflect how we feel about the world we live in.

It struck me recently that one of the things I love about knitting is that I can make things come out the way they should or alter a pattern by my choice in my own way, rip it out and start again if I want. There is always that moment at the end of a row when the stitch count comes out right, maybe after I've reworked it, and for that moment all is right with my world. I love seeing things line up as they should. There is just something about a set of needles, yarn, and printed words on a page and I make them come together to be something, it really does seem magical. I need something where things work out the way they are supposed to or can be discarded and not cause any major upheaval. In the photos and in real life, knitting seems to impose a small bit of order and creativity in a world where I often feel I have no control.

Quote:
Charlotte

justcharlotte on Ravelry

“Why do you have a cigarette lighter in your glove compartment?" her husband, Jack, asked her. "I'm bored with knitting. I've taken up arson.”
― Audrey Niffenegger, Her Fearful Symmetry
There could well be a lot more truth in that comment than we care to realize. Humor is so often based on things that scare the living daylights out of us. It helps us deal with reality.
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-30-2013), Woofens (08-28-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset
 
justplaincharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,854
Thanks: 2,734
Thanked 962 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
It struck me recently that one of the things I love about knitting is that I can make things come out the way they should or alter a pattern by my choice in my own way, rip it out and start again if I want. There is always that moment at the end of a row when the stitch count comes out right, maybe after I've reworked it, and for that moment all is right with my world. I love seeing things line up as they should. There is just something about a set of needles, yarn, and printed words on a page and I make them come together to be something, it really does seem magical. I need something where things work out the way they are supposed to or can be discarded and not cause any major upheaval. In the photos and in real life, knitting seems to impose a small bit of order and creativity in a world where I often feel I have no control.
Beautifully put, GG!

Quote:
There could well be a lot more truth in that comment than we care to realize. Humor is so often based on things that scare the living daylights out of us. It helps us deal with reality.
When I first read the Niffenegger quote I couldn't help but chuckle, as it sounded like a sarcastic response that I as a smoker would make, a "Here's your sign!" to a dumb question (one of comedian Bill Engvall's funniest riffs on how people who ask the most obvious dumb questions should be easily identifiable to the rest of the world).

But the quote led to me start reading the book, whose premise is surreal to say the least. The character who said that quote absolutely is hiding something she doesn't want known to her husband.

Back to Her Fearful Symmetry...
__________________
Charlotte

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,751
Thanks: 1,995
Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Knitting is therapeutic in more ways than I can count.
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #8
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset
 
justplaincharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,854
Thanks: 2,734
Thanked 962 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Knitting is therapeutic in more ways than I can count.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Knitting has provided me a sense of accomplishment and competence, as well as a retreat into a space where nothing else touches me except that feeling of accomplishment and competence with each stitch made by me. It also reminds me and DH of his wonderful mother, who was an accomplished knitter that I didn't get enough time with before she passed. Just having a lunchtime retreat to that space has comforted and reassured me immeasurably on more than one occasion in the past couple of years.

It has also been a gateway to meeting some wonderful new people, both online and in person, something I'm not especially good at in either arena.

Thank you for reminding me of that.
__________________
Charlotte

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.