Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I'm confused. Just because someone is a vegan doesn't mean they can't/won't use wool yarns. They aren't harming the animal or eating it so why not use wool yarns????
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Artchic528
1st Leg of the Journey

I would think that using something like alpaca or wool would be the complete opposite for a vegan. Using the hair of an animal isn't killing the animal, its just giving it a buzz cut and making it feel better in the warm summer months. It would be inhumane to allow an animal to suffer by letting it keep a thick coat in such heat.

But to each his/her own I guess.

Oceanblue28 on Ravelry

So many things to knit, so little time!!
Artchic528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Yesterday I was watching "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" and saw Katey Sagal knitting!!!!!

Sometimes they are just holding their yarn/needles to make it LOOK LIKE they're knitting, but it's fun to see an actor/actress who's actually knitting!

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
I know vegans who use wool so I think it varies person to person.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #15
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Artchic528 View Post
Don't know who she is exactly, (I think she was in the movie "Mama Mia") but Amanda Seyfried and Ellen Degeneres talk knitting (and show off their respective FOs too!) on an episode of Ellen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSH__Hvrxg
She was also in the Tina Fey movie 'Mean Girls (very,seriously, funny) and in Big Love, the HBO series about the Mormon guy with three wives, she was one of the daughters. And, she's portraying Linda Lovelace in the movie 'Deep Throat.'
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

here is a fun link with actors knitting

http://www.pinterest.com/prudencem/t...it-or-crochet/

http://www.pinterest.com/source/fict...ng.tumblr.com/
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
I'm confused. Just because someone is a vegan doesn't mean they can't/won't use wool yarns. They aren't harming the animal or eating it so why not use wool yarns????
Originally Posted by Artchic528 View Post
I would think that using something like alpaca or wool would be the complete opposite for a vegan. Using the hair of an animal isn't killing the animal, its just giving it a buzz cut and making it feel better in the warm summer months. It would be inhumane to allow an animal to suffer by letting it keep a thick coat in such heat.

But to each his/her own I guess.
I don't want to take this off topic, but I do want to address these issues briefly.

Being vegan is about non-exploitation. It's about not seeing yourself as entitled. So it's a much broader topic than just the tip of the iceberg most people see.

That having been said, industrialized wool is no better than industrialized meat. The animals are too closely confined, standing in their own and other animals feces, are subjected to inhumane treatment, etc. And when they are sheared, no care is taken to not gouge the animal, and wounds are left to fester, get infected, no treatment is provided, etc. Industrialized wool is simply not humane.

However - when an animal is hand-raised on a small scale operation, and loving care is taken when shearing - NO vegan would have trouble with this, because there is no cruelty, no exploitation, and no entitlement. If you know the source of your wool, and what kind of care was taken with it, there is no problem. (The alpaca in question here, Sparkly, may have been hand-raised and treated kindly, but without trace-ability, we simply do not know.)

Thanks for letting me address this from the vegan perspective. I'll let everyone get back to the real topic now. I appreciate you allowing me to share.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (10-07-2013), Woofens (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

DH's niece was a vegan, very observant and trying to not leave the old carbon footprint, but when she had kids it got kind of hard to EAT that way. The little guys need too much protein, I guess.

I could easily eat vegan except for yogurt, I can't seem to give that up.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Artchic528
1st Leg of the Journey

While I respect the idea of veganism, and one's right and decision to partake in that lifestyle, I couldn't do so myself. Its just too much of a sacrifice for me as I love so many things that are so very much not vegan.

Oceanblue28 on Ravelry

So many things to knit, so little time!!
Artchic528 is offline   Reply With Quote