Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Interchangable circulars
I currently have a set of Addi Short Lace interchangeables that I like, though they seem to not have as smooth of a join as I'd hoped.
I recently bought some regular Hyia Hyia circs that I really like.
Does anyone out there have a set of their interchangeable needles and how do you like them?
A friend has them and really likes them. The plus is they come in much smaller needle sizes than the Addi's do.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Lorraine3289
1st Leg of the Journey

I have a few hiya hiya interchangeables and they are great but I have found where the cable meets the cable connector (not the needle/cable join) a bit scratchy and rubs/scratches the base of my palm. I have 2 cables and they are both the same - not sure if this is universal or that I have a couple of odd ones. Keen to hear others feedback.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Here's the thing about Addi Interchangeables, whether they be Addi Clicks Lace Longs,
or Addi Clicks Lace, or the original Addi Clicks.

The join is going to be aggravating on all the smaller sizes...US 4, 5, 6.

The join isn't a problem on the larger sizes...US 7 and up.

The reason: the stitches created by the US 4, 5, 6 are too small to reasonably move up and over that join. The stitches will always catch.

I own the set of Addi Click Lace Longs and the set of original Addi Clicks. It's the same issue for both types. And I'm not surprised that you are experiencing issues on your Addi Clicks Short Lace.

Using one of the larger sizes (US 7, 8, 9) and knit up a swatch. I'll bet they work just fine and dandy!

FYI: I returned my needle tips to Skacel directly (through my knitting LYS) and got new ones in exchange away back when Addi Clicks were first launched. The replacements had the same issue. It's not a manufacturing issue. It's a design flaw.

IMHO,
interchangeables with a screw-on join are still the best. Not wanting to leave Denise Interchangeables out: their join is perfect, and they don't screw on. I love Denise, too. They are a good interchangeable if you like the material used and the thicker cables.

I love my Addi Clicks...loving mostly the finish of the needle tips, and the cables, and the little envelope case that's included. But if I had to do it all over again...I wouldn't buy the set. I'd cobble together my own set of US 7's and up, and buy the cables separately. I'd get a lot more bang for my buck.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
ABC's Mom (09-03-2013), claireweber (09-04-2013), jinxnit55 (09-07-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Here's the thing about Addi Interchangeables, whether they be Addi Clicks Lace Longs,
or Addi Clicks Lace, or the original Addi Clicks.

The join is going to be aggravating on all the smaller sizes...US 4, 5, 6.

The join isn't a problem on the larger sizes...US 7 and up.

The reason: the stitches created by the US 4, 5, 6 are too small to reasonably move up and over that join. The stitches will always catch.

I own the set of Addi Click Lace Longs and the set of original Addi Clicks. It's the same issue for both types. And I'm not surprised that you are experiencing issues on your Addi Clicks Short Lace.

Using one of the larger sizes (US 7, 8, 9) and knit up a swatch. I'll bet they work just fine and dandy!

FYI: I returned my needle tips to Skacel directly (through my knitting LYS) and got new ones in exchange away back when Addi Clicks were first launched. The replacements had the same issue. It's not a manufacturing issue. It's a design flaw.

IMHO,
interchangeables with a screw-on join are still the best. Not wanting to leave Denise Interchangeables out: their join is perfect, and they don't screw on. I love Denise, too. They are a good interchangeable if you like the material used and the thicker cables.

I love my Addi Clicks...loving mostly the finish of the needle tips, and the cables, and the little envelope case that's included. But if I had to do it all over again...I wouldn't buy the set. I'd cobble together my own set of US 7's and up, and buy the cables separately. I'd get a lot more bang for my buck.
Have you ever used any Hiya Hiya's ? My friend swears by them and they are also the screw in type. The advantage of the Hiya Hiya's are they come as small as size 2 and the sharps are really sharp. Even sharper than the Addi Lace.
I do like my ADDI's but would like to get another set of interchangeables and need to decide which ones to get.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I found reviews on these needles on Amazon:

Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Circular Needles Reviews

I didn't read all of the reviews, but what I did read was very positive Take a look.
ABC's Mom (09-06-2013), jinxnit55 (09-07-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Lorraine3289
1st Leg of the Journey

Have you looked at the Interchangeable Needle poll on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/inter...2179300/1-25#2. To see the results of the poll, click on the link at the bottom of the 2nd post. Interesting reading. The poll helped me decide to buy my Hiya Hiya interchangeables after much pondering.
ABC's Mom (09-06-2013), jinxnit55 (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Lorraine3289 View Post
Have you looked at the Interchangeable Needle poll on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/inter...2179300/1-25#2. To see the results of the poll, click on the link at the bottom of the 2nd post. Interesting reading. The poll helped me decide to buy my Hiya Hiya interchangeables after much pondering.
i'd recommend chiaogoo, i have bought mine a tip at a time, and the cords are a bit thicker than hiya's, there are two kinds of cords, the red which don't swivel and the spin cords which do - they have bamboo or metal- might buy one and see how you like it. I also enjoy my dreamz needles by knitters pride- i hadn't seen that poll, i'll go look at it too.... i love learning about different needles
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to artsy1 For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
I currently have a set of Addi Short Lace interchangeables that I like, though they seem to not have as smooth of a join as I'd hoped.
I recently bought some regular Hyia Hyia circs that I really like.
Does anyone out there have a set of their interchangeable needles and how do you like them?
A friend has them and really likes them. The plus is they come in much smaller needle sizes than the Addi's do.
Thanks for the question. Just tonight I started a cowl with some fingering yarn, using my KnitPicks Harmony interchangeables. After 2 times of having the yarn sink into the the gap where the needle tip screws on, I gave up and frogged it. Does this happen with all interchangeables? They just don't stay screwed together. Very aggravating, and I am ready to just buy fixed circulars from now on.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
Thanks for the question. Just tonight I started a cowl with some fingering yarn, using my KnitPicks Harmony interchangeables. After 2 times of having the yarn sink into the the gap where the needle tip screws on, I gave up and frogged it. Does this happen with all interchangeables? They just don't stay screwed together. Very aggravating, and I am ready to just buy fixed circulars from now on.
i've never had snagging or unscrewing with either my chiaogoos or dreamz, but i also have never used the finer yarns- i would think the chiaogoo lace tips would be worth trying
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to artsy1 For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post

You want to be sure the tip is securely fastened to the cable. I learned here to use a piece of grippy shelf liner to hold onto the tip and and use the key to tighten it. I don't have problems with yarn getting into a gap.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (09-08-2013)