Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
SimoneB
Ribbing the Cuff

Buttonhole placement (newbie question in two parts)
I'm knitting this sweater: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/made-so-quickly

The instructions for the buttonholes are:

1st buttonhole row: Pattern 6, cast off 2 sts, pattern to end.
2nd buttonhole row: Work in pattern, casting on 2 sts over those cast off on previous row to complete the buttonhole.

However, I don't like the way the buttonholes stretch in the sample photo, so instead I am trying my hand at Amy's one-row buttonhole. I am doing 5 st buttonholes to match my buttons which are bigger than the ones in the photo.

The first buttonhole turned out nice, but I am second-guessing the placement. I followed the pattern directions and started the buttonhole after patterning 6 sts , but now I am wondering if that was too much, it seems like a very wide border. In the sample photo the buttons seem to be centered on the 2nd column of knit sts when the sweater is closed, and I would like to keep that placement. So my question is, once my sweater is closed will the fabric stretch enough to keep the buttons centered on that column?

As for my second question, since my buttons are bigger, I think the sweater will look better with five buttons instead of six, but in order for the math to work out and the buttons to be spaced equally, two of the buttonholes would have to be worked on a ws row, would that look funny or would the buttons cover up the difference in the buttonholes?
SimoneB is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,297 Times in 2,983 Posts
Amy's one row buttonhole is a very nice neat one and it's a good choice.
Casting off 5sts is quite a bit so make sure that's not too many sts. The buttonhole will stretch to fit a larger button.
Have you placed the button on the buttonhole to see how much it will overlap the edge? It may pull to the edge rather than sit in the center of the hole. With the smaller button 6sts in pattern might give too wide a border but is that still true with the larger button? It's really a judgment best made by you since you have the sweater in front of you.
I don't think it would matter if you miss a row in order to start the buttonholes all on the knit rows. It'll look fine started on the purl row but it may look different.
SimoneB (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
SimoneB
Ribbing the Cuff

When measured against the fabric the button is six stitches wide, so I followed Amy's directions and took one stitch off. When I pass a button through the hole there's resistance, but I don't have to force it, I suppose it'll also be firmer once I've knit the row above. But what will happen to it when washed, blocked and worn I have no idea, this buttonhole-business is completely new to me.

Quote:
Have you placed the button on the buttonhole to see how much it will overlap the edge? It may pull to the edge rather than sit in the center of the hole.
Do you mean if I place the button at one edge of the buttonhole will the button cover the entire buttonhole, or will the other edge be visible? I hadn't thought of that, I don't think it will all be covered - especially once there's some pull in the fabric. But if I make the hole one or two stitches smaller, will I still be able to pass the button through?

Oh and here's a pic of the buttonhole with and without button, maybe that'll help.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	56975  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	56976  
Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,297 Times in 2,983 Posts
Oh, certainly the buttonhole will be firmer once you complete the cast on row. You'd have to try the buttonhole on a swatch which was washed and dried as recommended for the yarn to be sure about what will happen. Usually buttonholes work out OK, with enough give to accommodate the button even after washing.
I think making the buttonhole the size that works with your buttons is the best idea. If it's too small, it'll be a misery. This sweater is too pretty to have problems with buttons. You've chosen such a lovely color too.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
SimoneB
Ribbing the Cuff

I did go back to fiddle with it a bit, and settled on a 4 st buttonhole instead - it's a tighter fit with the button, but it still feels elastic, not like I'm forcing it. The unknown factor is, of course, what's going to happen once I wash the sweater - I really should have put a few buttonholes in my swatch (which I'll definitely be doing next time around!!!). But I figure that the worst case scenario is that I'll have to buy some smaller buttons if the buttonholes shrink, and I think I can live with that

As for the other issues, I decided to stick with the 6 st border - after all it looks fine on the sample with smaller buttons, so I suppose it'll be fine with my larger ones as well. I'll do as you suggested, and skip a row on the two buttonholes that would have otherwise ended up on the purl side - apart from hopefully looking neater, I think it'll also be easier to remember to put the buttonhole in at the beginning of a row that at the end, and I really don't want to have to deal with forgotten buttonholes later on

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease, and for catching the bit about the buttonhole-size issue!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by SimoneB View Post
I'm knitting this sweater: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/made-so-quickly

The instructions for the buttonholes are:

1st buttonhole row: Pattern 6, cast off 2 sts, pattern to end.
2nd buttonhole row: Work in pattern, casting on 2 sts over those cast off on previous row to complete the buttonhole.

However, I don't like the way the buttonholes stretch in the sample photo, so instead I am trying my hand at Amy's one-row buttonhole. I am doing 5 st buttonholes to match my buttons which are bigger than the ones in the photo.

The first buttonhole turned out nice, but I am second-guessing the placement. I followed the pattern directions and started the buttonhole after patterning 6 sts , but now I am wondering if that was too much, it seems like a very wide border. In the sample photo the buttons seem to be centered on the 2nd column of knit sts when the sweater is closed, and I would like to keep that placement. So my question is, once my sweater is closed will the fabric stretch enough to keep the buttons centered on that column?

As for my second question, since my buttons are bigger, I think the sweater will look better with five buttons instead of six, but in order for the math to work out and the buttons to be spaced equally, two of the buttonholes would have to be worked on a ws row, would that look funny or would the buttons cover up the difference in the buttonholes?
The sweaters in this pattern book are lovely! Thank you so much for sharing the link with us.