Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Kbwoodward
Casting On

Increase stitch and stay in pattern
I am working a sweater pattern with a double moss stitch.
Row 1- k1, p1 to end ending on a k1
Row 2-p1, k1 to end ending on a p1
Row 3-p1, k1 to end ending on a p1
Row 4- k1, p1 to end ending on a p1

On the sleeves I need to increase and stay in pattern on each end If I increase on row 1, I would increase with a k1, so my row is k1,k1, p1, k1, p1 end on a k1, k1. My question is how do I do the next row?
Kbwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Kbwoodward View Post
I am working a sweater pattern with a double moss stitch.
Row 1- k1, p1 to end ending on a k1
Row 2-p1, k1 to end ending on a p1
Row 3-p1, k1 to end ending on a p1
Row 4- k1, p1 to end ending on a p1

On the sleeves I need to increase and stay in pattern on each end If I increase on row 1, I would increase with a k1, so my row is k1,k1, p1, k1, p1 end on a k1, k1. My question is how do I do the next row?
Hello and welcome to knittinghelp. Do you have a link to the pattern or could you share the name of the pattern with us, that may prove to be helpful.

I am unclear about the increase, but to answer your question, on the row following the increase you would k1, p1 to end ending with a k1. The first and last stitches on this row may seem a bit odd, but the middle stitches should follow the pattern.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,835 Posts
Welcome to KH!
Since it's double moss, you would start and end row 2 with a k1. Because you've added a stitch at each end, the row becomes:
Row 2-k1 p1, k1 to end ending on a k1
Every time you increase at the ends the pattern expands a stitch at each end.
For me, the easiest way to do this is to look at the stitches on the needle. You know that you want to maintain that pattern, so just look at the second stitch on the needle and use that to tell you what stitch one should be. If stitch 2 is going to be a purl, then stitch 1 should be knit; if stitch 2 is going to be knit then purl stitch 1.
This article may help to visualize the increase. The example uses an edge stitch which you may or may not want to use.
Good luck with your sweater. Sounds like you're coming close to the end. We'd love to see a picture if you'd like to post one.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Kbwoodward
Casting On

Increase stitch and stay in pattern
Thanks for your help. I like the idea of looking at the stitches on the needle. I was getting confused, because if I add the stitch then I was continuing the pattern from the add, and it was starting to looking like ribbing!!
Kbwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote