Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

Calorimetry question
I'm new to knitting and have a question regarding the sl stitch in this pattern:

Since the pattern is done in 2x2 ribbing, is it necessary to bring the yarn forward to do the sl after turning the work when the yarn is already in back from having knit the last 2 stitches? I've been leaving the yarn in the back (yarn in back after turning), sl and continued to purl over the knit stitch to continue with the ribbing.

Hope this isn't too silly
Jemm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Unless otherwise stated in the pattern you usually slip the stitch purl wise with yarn in the back. That means to slip it needle tip to needle tip with the yarn in back as if to knit.

It doesn't say on this pattern so it probably doesn't make a difference as long as you're consistent. As long as it looks good and you're happy with it keep doing what you are.

Welcome to KH!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Jemm (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks so much for the welcome and for posting back.

I might have misunderstood what I'm supposed to do with sl. There was no indication in the pattern to do slp for the purl stitches in the ribbing - only sl. Basically I slipped every stitch (either knit or purl) by sliding from the left of the stitch to the right, but leaving the yarn where it falls naturally and not moving it forward, then back again to purl. Does this make sense?

If I understood your post, I should be doing an slp for the purl stitches. I'm into the pattern about 6 repeating rows after row 5 - I'm thinking I should probably start over again.

I appreciate the help and not too worried about starting over if I must.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

The pattern is worked using short rows to create the shaping. They are using slipped stitches (sl) instead of wrapped stitches. When you slip the stitch will vary depending on where you are in the row. It'll be a little confusing so keep track with a pencil and paper or on your pattern.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Jemm (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

oops! did not mean "every" stitch, Jan so sorry for the miscommunication. I meant every one that needed to be slipped but -- was slipping the same way consistently for either a knit or purl stitch.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

No problem.

Since the pattern doesn't say (that I could see) I'm not sure it matters how you slip the stitch. In looking on Ravelry it seems some slipped knitwise and some purlwise. Whichever you think looks best is probably fine as long as you're consistent.

Whoa...look how many people have knit this!!!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/calorimetry

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

Jan, I thought I might add this link which along with your posts helped clarify what I need to do - was having so much trouble communicating the issue, reason being that since I'm turning the work, where I am holding the yarn becomes an issue as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH31nc7dRYI

What I think I'm getting is that sometimes a pattern will tell you generally to slip a stitch. From what I've read on the internet this project is really easy but the instructions lacking for a beginner like me - it's why I held off on it for so long now.

If I slip all the stitches purlwise (the ones that need to be slipped) as she indicates, then I won't have a problem with the yarn placement for the slip - just place the yarn properly for the next stitch. It also takes care of the purl stitches which you've indicated should be slipped purlwise.

Wondering if I should hold out a little longer, I might still be confused lol. I'll be happier starting over again but wanted to thank you again since I hesitated going any further.

I can see why so many people love this project. It's a great stash buster and done in a few hours tops. Quite pretty too!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Unless your yarn won't stand up to ripping it out and restarting which is the worst case scenario, I think you should go ahead and try this. It's cute! I'm adding it to my list of Must Knits!

Short rows are very confusing at first. Once you get going with them it will get easier. I bet you can do it now. You can always ask any questions you have and if one explanation isn't working for you, another just might. I agree with Jan, pick a way to slip and stay consistent.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Jemm (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

It's completely ripped back now and will start again soon. Gramma on this pattern the short rows are not wrapped and picked up as they usually are - we're just meant to turn the work around.

I'm just guessing but I think my problem is that sometimes I'm turning the work right at a purl set and this might be completely mathematical issue since I reduced the number of co stitches to 90 (from 126 in the original pattern I think). Many complaints that the fo was much to large. Using a smaller needle size helps as well, a 6 was suggested in quite a few posts so I went ahead with that size.

I'm not sure if using the original amount of stitches means that you will always make a turn right before a knit set of stitches in which case the wording need not be specific -- in that case the slip is always consistent and I wouldn't have to switch back and forth (whether landing on knit or purl like I am now).

I wish I can explain this much better Thanks both of you for being patient with me.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
If I understand your dilemma, you don't know how to have the yarn in position for the first stitch after you turn when it's a knit. I would move the yarn into position to do a knit stitch before I slip one. I think that would solve that problem. Changing the stitch count might end up causing more confusion later on in the pattern. When you start it again be sure to ask any questions. Eventually things can get sorted out. Maybe I'll be able to start mine soon and will better understand what you're dealing with. HTH

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Jemm (09-01-2013)