Old 09-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern help
I am working a pattern fleurette lace which is multiples of 6 plus 5 (14 rows)followed by a horseshoe and lace pattern which is multiple of 24 plus 11 (16 rows). the specific row I am working is a decreasing row row 5 in the fleurette pattern.

The repetition is k1, yo, ssk, k1 k2tog, yo

The instructions say: work pattern row 5 and remove first marker work to 2nd marker ending in k2 before marker, sl marker, ssk, work 7 stitches at center of the chart, k2tog, sl marker, work row 5 to the end, remove 4tH marker

I'm confused because the pattern is multiples of 6.

Vogue spring/summer2007. Lace cardigan. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-lace-cardigan

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks Gretchen
gcp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Row 5 may be a break from the multiple of 6+5 depending on the size you're making. Can you quote the entire row including the 7sts at the center of the chart or is it just too long? Where are you in the pattern (back, fronts?) Do the stitches not add up in row 5 or is it the break from the repeat that's causing problems?
There is a corrections listed online for the size directions after the cast on for the back
http://www.vogueknitting.com/pattern...mmer_2007.aspx
Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern help - continued
Hi - thank you for responding. I am working on the back.

The markers section off a section with 15 stitches (middle of the back) as per the previous pattern schematic (horseshoe and lace) which totals 16 rows. Now I am trying to shape the waste with the fleurette pattern which is in multiples of 6. Row 1&3 are knit; rows 2&4 are purl. On each knit row I decrease one stitch at either end of the 15 stitch section. this leaves me with 11 stitches. I knit row 5 as per the instructions until I get to this section. It then effectively instructs me to decrease another 2 stitches at each end of the section --- and that leaves me with 7 stitches in the middle. My confusion stems from the fact that the pattern is in multiples of 6 stitches.

I am happy to send the pattern to you but the pdf file exceeds the attachment size allowable by the forum --- any thoughts? .

does this help clarify anything for you --- I am afraid I remain very confused.

Thank you so much

Gretchen
Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

OK, thanks for the information. I have a copy of the magazine; let me take a look at that part of the pattern nad get back. Which size are you making?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you so so much. I am making the smallest size (back case on 83 stitches)

very much appreciated
Old 09-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Ok, this Ravelry project shows the back pattern more clearly.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Lore...-lace-cardigan
In the first picture, you can see that there's a break in the fleurette pattern at the center back.
I don't know why the directions put in the mysterious reference to "7sts at the center of the chart" when they write out the directions for the following rows, but I believe thay are referring to the rightmost section of the Size Small Horseshoe & Lace Pattern Chart (9sts in that section). They want you to do row 5, the center 7 sts which are:
k1, yo, k1, S2KP, k1, yo, k1.
The directions for the next dec row seem to follow that pattern and begin to look like the center motif in that back row.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

Will try this. Makes sense. Really appreciate your going so out of your way to help me. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Gretchen
Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

One last question - what you say intuitively makes sense except the center stitches number 6....k1, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo.... This is 7 parts equaling 6 stitches leaving me with an extra stitch before k2tog.

Your directions suggest S2KP but that comes into play in row 9.

Sorry to bother you....but am very appreciative. Thanks,

Gretchen
Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

It's no bother. The center sts from the fleurette pattern are indeed
k1, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo.. but that's not what you want to follow here.
You want to work the center back sts from the chart (7sts) which are part of the horseshoe pattern:
k1, yo, k1, S2KP, k1, yo, k1
So the sts between the markers are then: ssk, k1, yo, k1, S2KP, k1, yo, k1, k2tog
To me it looks like these sts are substituted for just the single center back fleurette motif. It's a shortened horseshoe in place of that one fleurette.
If you look at the next row in the instructions it's:
Dec row Work pat row 7 (i.e. the fleurette pattern) to marker, ssk, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, k2tog. Thats not row 7 of the fleurette. That's narrowing in the horseshoe.
Try it on a swatch to see how it works and whether that's what you want to do.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

I was under the understanding in this pattern that the 30 row pattern repeat is 14 rows fleurette lace followed by 16 rows horseshoe and lace. The waist shaping begins the second pattern repeat starting with the fleurette lace. So if I follow it-starting with 11 stitches

Ssk, k1, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k2tog

I am left with 10 stitches not 9.

Again, I'm sorry for any inconvenience with regard to all my questions.

Thanks, gretchen