Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

....and now ---
Hi -

I think I successfully did the 'decrease' and now have to increase. my stitches look as follows: 34...1 (decrease)....34. The increases increase back to 15...so I need to do 7 total (2 each). The instructions say that I should follow the fleurette pattern which is 14 rows total. Follow pattern Rows 1-4 and then start increasing with row 5 (yo, k1, yo). do this 6 more times and work the section into the pattern as the stitch increases allow.... Two questions:

(1) By the time i get to the 6th increase I am on to the horseshoe pattern (increase row 5, 7, 9, 11, 13....row 1, 3 of horseshoe) does this sound correct? Should I instead try and do the increases in the fleurette starting with row 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13?
(2)...subsequent increases first one is (yo, k1, yo)...is the second (k1, yo, k1, yo, k1) and the thrid (k1, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, k1)? the pattern does not give specific guidance except for the first increase
(3) If i continue the increasing into the horseshoe lace - do I work the increases the same going from 11 to 13? unsure of how to work the pattern in to this newly increased section before it is to the full 15 stitches...) I think this will be my last query ...but then again i have said this before..

Appreciate your help more than you know --- and will post this on Ralvery if ever I am done ...

Thanks so much -

Warm regards,

the fustrated knitter - Gretchen
gcp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
Great that you've gotten through the waist shaping. I'm away from home for the week and don't have the pattern with me. It sounds like you could make the increases simpler by shifting them to row 1 (and following) of the fleurette pattern. Basically, you're adding to the edges of that pattern and incorporating the new sts into the pattern as best as you can.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

You are away and still answering questions...you are amazing!!! Enjoy your week away and thanks!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanks. Knitting never takes a vacation!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

The saga continues -
My saga continues ... as evidenced by this long chain of queries....Sweater (Vogue Spring/summer 2007) Lace Cardigan (#10 pg. 104)

Gauge: 30 rows = 4 inches...1 inch = 7.5 rows. The patter is such that you switch between fleurette Lace (14 rows) and Horseshoe and Lace Pattern (16 rows). The idea is that these patterns alternate. Working the back, I need to do 15 inches before starting the shoulder shaping ending with row 12 of fleurette pattern. 15 inches using the gauge equates to 113 rows. The math put me at 15 inches on approximately row 9 of the horseshoe pattern. For me to get to row 12 of the fleurette pattern I would either have to do a total of 102 rows or 132 rows. Could the instructions be incorrect --- Not sure how to handle this other than do just follow the pattern ignoring where the pattern suggests to stop. Any thoughts would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Many thanks-

Gretchen
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
salmonmac
Mod Squad

The photo doesn't look like it adds up either. It looks like 5 repeats of the horseshoe + fleurette with an extra fleurette and some starting rows too. That works out to 164+ rows and that's certainly more than 15 inches. I'd work until you get to 15inches, slightly stratched to give you an idea of the blocked size. Finish on whichever pattern row comes closest to finishing a complete horseshoe or fleurette if possible. It's more important that the waist shaping hit at the waist and the armholes not be excessivly long or short than that you finish off the repeats.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

The quest continues....
Okay - I promise - last question - Is it me or is this pattern really confusing...

Okay - still working on the back; med size. Started the shoulder decreases at Row 103 (row 13 of the Fleurette pattern). (there is an inch or so of finishing which gets me to the 15 inches)

Row 103: (row 13 of Fleurette) Bind off 4 stitches (87 remaining)...PM for decrease stitches 6 total
Row 104: (row 14 of Fleurette) Bind off 4 stitches (83 remaining)...PM for decrease stitches 6 total

Stitches on Needle look like: 6 stitches.(for decrease)...71 stitches(for pattern)....6 stitches(for decrease)

Row 105: (Row 1 of Horse Shoe lace): Working pattern over 71 stitches ... Here is where my confusion lies --- pattern calls for multiple of 26 plus 13. BUT works out as 1 (1st stitch)...11..15...11...15...11...7...

What am I doing wrong? I have the pattern scanned but the pdf is too big to attach to this email. happy to send it to you if there is another way -

My apologies .for the incessant questions - I just love this sweater and am making it for my sister for Christmas (she chose it)...

So appreciate your help -

Last question - Can I make a donation to this site? Not sure how or if you are funded but I would be honored to do so as without you and this site I would be completely lost -

Warm Regards,

Gretchen .
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #28
salmonmac
Mod Squad

One queston, isn't 15 inches the point to start the armhole shaping? The shoulders start at 15 + 8 inches?
At any rate, looking at the photo of the back, it looks like the horseshoe and lace pattern (9+15+9) flanked by the lace pattern so that you have 15+9+15+9+15 (total 63sts). You could do stockinette on the ends (4sts each side) to add up to 71. That's what the photo looks like to me.
I'll take another look at it but that's my first thought.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

Yes 15 inches measuring from bottom to shoulder.. but the finish adds an inch or so to the bottom (the finish is crocheted where the satin ribbon goes). This is the only way this works looking at the pattern which has 5 cycles (fleurette & Horseshoe lace) ending with 1 fleurette.

Shoulder shaping - I have 91 stitches. I bind off 4 on each of the next two rows which leaves me with 83 stitches. The directions also tell me to mark 6 stitches on each side which are to be done in stockinette and used as the ‘decrease ‘ inventory’. This leave me with 71 stitches in the middle.

Are you suggesting for the Horse Shoe Lace to segregate 3 stitches on each end and work them in stockinette… leaving 65 in the middle (remembering that each row starts with a K1 and ends with a K1 with the repeats in the middle. So, it looks like this..excluding the 6 stitches for the decrease:

3…1…11…15…11…15…11…1…3 which all sums to 71 stitches?

The Fleurette - the math works as it is multiples of 6 plus 5 (11 cycles of 6 = 66 plus 5)

Is it me or is the really complicated to decipher?

Let me know if you agree. Also please let me know about making a donation..

Thanks as always --- much appreciated

Gretchen
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Yes, you can do it that way. Sounds good.
I'm going by the photo (size small) and the charts but the pattern as you describe it works too. There's a bit more "creativity" required for this pattern than you might wish but you're learning lots from using the pattern and you've gotten yourself this far very well.
Making a donation is such a nice thought. There is a Knitting Help shop and I'm sure purchasing something there would be much appreciated and useful for you too. There are all sorts of needles and DVDs and much more.