Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
enchant
Casting On

Pattern Question & possible video help
Hi all I found this pattern & i just love it my daughter's best friend her family just had a new baby girl & i wanted to make this pattern for a baby blanket for them granted not sure if it is logical for me trying to pull it off as i am quite lost trying to figure it out I have looked up keywords on youtube w/no luck finding the pattern but I am one of those who needs the visual before the actual writing/pattern starts making sense but here is a link to the pattern maybe someone else has some how to videos to this or what other keywords i could find in this

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafbh.htm

I was taught how to knit about 9 years ago when preggers w/my daughter from a friend of mine till a few months ago just found out i been knitting the wrong way lol so now i am really doubting my abilties here but I am stubborn so i will eventually win lol

Anyways I taught myself a basic diamond stich off a tutorial off of youtube but this diamond stitch is different & i cant seem to wrap my head around it & like i said I am more of a visual person so reading the pattern just keeps me confused would appreciate any insight and help thank you so much Cheers
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Although it looks fancy and complicated it really is just knits and purls. I don't think you'll find a video for this. You will have to pay attention when you knit it so you don't mess up the pattern. I suggest just taking it one row at a time. Keep track of where you are on a piece of paper. Sometimes rewriting the rows out can be helpful, too. Is there a specific part you are having trouble with?

Good luck, it's a pretty blanket!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
enchant (09-03-2013), GrumpyGramma (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello, and welcome to KnittingHelp.

I'll start by giving you the bad news. If you are looking for a 'How To' video for the pattern you linked you I don't think there's one out there.

If you are looking for videos for working the different techniques and then mentally putting them together to make the blanket you will have better luck.

I would start with the 'Free Videos' and 'Glossary' tabs at the top of this page and also the 'Abbreviations' and 'Glossary' link at the bottom of the pattern.

Partly out of curiosity, and partly because I think it might be of help I have a couple of questions for you:

What keywords have you looked up?

and

How were you knitting the 'wrong way'?

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
enchant
Casting On

well i dont need a how to video to do the whole blanket just really to understand how to the diamond of the blanket just so i can see how that works.....

not sure how to explain how i was knitting the wrong way but basically i was knitting from the front like a purl stitch but instead of doing a purl stitch i slipped the needle on the back side so since i was doing it this way so long i am really struggling to get the flow of knitting the proper way so i have to put my knitting needle inbetween stitches first then go into the stitch its not flowing well for me maybe i can get someone to do a video so i can demonstrate how i was doing it wrong
Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by enchant View Post
well i dont need a how to video to do the whole blanket just really to understand how to the diamond of the blanket just so i can see how that works.....

not sure how to explain how i was knitting the wrong way but basically i was knitting from the front like a purl stitch but instead of doing a purl stitch i slipped the needle on the back side so since i was doing it this way so long i am really struggling to get the flow of knitting the proper way so i have to put my knitting needle inbetween stitches first then go into the stitch its not flowing well for me maybe i can get someone to do a video so i can demonstrate how i was doing it wrong
The diamonds of the blanket are worked over the 36 rows labelled pattern Stitch. The pattern repeat (the instructions between the *'s) is 22 stitches. So if you want to do a test piece cast a multiple of 22 eg 44 or 66 (plus one or two extra, if you want) and try a block or two of the 36 rows. When the pattern tells you to k all k sts and p all p sts in Row 2 and all even rows, remember to knit all knits and purl all purls as they face you.

With regards to how you were doing the knit stitch were you knitting through the back of the loop?

Either Continental style

or English Style.

If so, you may find either Combination Knitting, or its older cousin, Eastern European Knitting the way to go. Sorry I can't link to a good video for Eastern European Knitting. I think fatoldladyinpjs is our resident Eastern European Knitting Guru.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
enchant (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
enchant
Casting On

Thank u to all
I am still trying to wrap my head around this but thanks to all your getting me closer thanks for being so welcoming to a new person here it is greatly appreciated you all Rock :D I really do appreciate all the input so far and to those who are trying to make sense of what i am saying cause sometimes I am not sure if what i say even makes sense so with that said you all are awesome
Old 09-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
If your style of knitting gives you a knit and a purl stitch that look different, and you're happy with them, then why not continue? People knit in many different ways and it can work out beautifully. The pattern shouldn't be a problem if you follow the pattern for a few repeats. I think you'll eventually see the way the pattern goes and be able to read and follow the stitches on your needles.
If you want to change your knitting to a more conventionsl stitch, go ahead. There are plenty of videos here and other spots online to help you out.
Good luck with this lovely blanket and come back if you run into problems or have questions. We're happy you joined us.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello enchant, I've pick up your 2 PMs to me this morning and I'll try to answers your querries here.

You ask if you'll need to do a test piece of 36 rows.

If you are the type of person who needs to see the full extent of the diamonds knitted up, then yes, you will need to do 36 rows. If you are the type of person who can knit part way and then visualize the rest then no, you wont need to knit 36 rows.

You say that you are knitting through the back of the loop but you're holding the yarn in your left hand, not you right hand as shown in the video.

Assuming you're knitting right handed (ie the stitiches start on the needle in your left hand and are worked across to the needle in your right hand) this just means you're knitting Continental Style.

Your third comment is that when you wrap the yarn on the knit stitch you are taking the yarn over the needle, rather than under it (as shown in the videos).

I know that knitting through the back of a stich will twist it. Unfortunately, I don't know if wrapping the yarn the way you do will twist the stitch more or straighten it out.

I agree with Salmonmac's comment that if you're happy with the way you knit and the way it looks carry on.

Remember, once you find your own way of knitting, if you meet someone who knits the same way (Continental, English etc) there will be slight differences in the way you both do your knitting, but you'll both be 'Right'.