Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Olha
Turning the Heel

How to surgically remove a pointy short row heel?
Hi,

So I tried a short row heel for my son's socks (I usually prefer flap heel) and I don't like it because it's way too pointy. It looks really funny, so I want to redo it.

I looked at the afterthought heel and I wonder if I can do the same? I wonder if I can cut the yarn on the bottom, sort of at the end of the heel, and just rip back and use that yarn to make a new heel?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Olha
Turning the Heel

It worked, it worked! (Not that anyone here was worried )

I cut the yarn and ripped back the heel, and then picked up all the live stitches. I like the afterthought heel much better than the short row, it feels more comfortable. Btw, the new heel used up more yarn, for some reason.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
I wasn't worried but I did want to know so thanks for reporting back. I had no idea whether it would work, I'm glad it did! I did figure if anyone could make it work then it was you. I've wanted to try the afterthought heel but wasn't sure I'd like it. If you say it's more comfy then that's a good reason to give it a go.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Olha (09-04-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
That's great! I saw this earlier, but didn't have time to answer...not that I knew the answer mind you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Olha (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,466 Times in 3,142 Posts
I didn't know if it would work either but I had perfect confidence that if anyone could make a go of it, it was you, Olha. Great to know it's a success.
Olha (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Olha
Turning the Heel

Aw, thank you... The beauty of the afterthough heel is that it is knit just like a toe. The only trick is to stop when it's deep enough, and also I made a few last rounds of decreases without the plain rounds in between, to make it more round.

I mean, the toe is comfortable, isn't it? The problem with the short row heel was that in order to hide the holes, a middle "bar" between the stitches was picked up to close up the gap. It looked fine but felt "knotty", if you know what I mean.

Also, I had to redo: one heel, two toes, and one top -- and I am talking about three socks only. So I am kind of fed up by now, but when I knit the unfortunate fourth sock, I will post some pictures.

Also, I am working on a Perfect Toe, because a gentlemen, even a 4 y.o. gentelmen, looks ridiculous in pointy-toed socks.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Oh, yes, a gentleman's socks need to be just right.
Could you please link to instructions for an afterthought heel as you did yours? I'd be most grateful. I'm working toe up so I'll have to be sure my BO is stretchy but I don't have to Kitchener the toe! I do German short rows and never noticed bumps in the heels. I'll have to pay attention and see if they're there. I'm trying to decide between the Sweet Tomato Heel or Afterthought.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Olha
Turning the Heel

I have watched two videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wvvc1AfgpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC8WcAmmnv0

The first one has a scrap yarn that makes the afterthough heel a bit premeditated I went by the second video and just cut a live stitch (yikes!)

I have to disapoint you though -- it requires to kitchener/graft the heel

I have seen many neat short row heels, and I used Sweet Tomato for my first pair of socks, so I decided to try something new.

Is there a good video for a German short row heel?
justplaincharlotte (09-07-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanks for the links. This time I think I just might try the Sweet Tomato Heel but I will do the ATH sometime.

I don't recall seeing a German short row heel video. I just started using the German short row method for working the heels because it worked. I'd already learned it and doing something different required more effort than I wanted to put forth and if it ain't broke...

German Short Row Tutorial.MOV She says in the video this is also called double stitch short rows but what I've seen before that's called double stitch isn't the same.

Premeditated afterthought heel - definitely an oxymoron.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (09-07-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Olha
Turning the Heel

thank you! I tried something like that before... but I figured that I either wrapped the yarn the wrong way, or just the fact that my stitches are turned "the other way" (right leg before the left if I knit flat is stockinette),... anyway, it didn't seem that neat.

but I will try again.