Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

FO: Wingspan (Zauberball - green/blue)
I got this beautiful ball of yarn and as it is quite suited for a wingspan shawl, I decided to knit one Socks were also an option, but I am still reluctant to try my hand on those

So I followed the instructions (well, I'm going for straight needles instead of round oned) and was nearly done with the first triangle when I realised I lost a stitch So I frogged it all and started over - after a few days for I was a bit frustrated

I'm now again as far as I was then and I haven't found any mistakes - yet. However, I am a bit unsure about this part:
Quote:
Repeat ROW 3 and ROW 4 until there are no more working
stitches. (i.e. there is nowhere to put the traveling marker)
Right now I have all 90 stitches on my needle with a marker around the 3 stitches closest to the knitting end of the needle. I wonder whether I should still knit those 3, remove the marker and knit back - or whether I am already done (as there is no place to put the traveling marker anymore already). But in the last case I still have 3 'working stitches'. So do I knit those or don't I?

I think I do - but I'm not 100% sure and I don't feel like frogging again. So any certainty on this matter would really be appreciated.

PS Bit short on time so I'll upload the first triangle later, but the yarn I'm using is this. And the pattern is 'just' the plain WingSpan - all rows are knitted.

Last edited by KnitBeg : 09-23-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: advice has been given, project is finished
KnitBeg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
Have you finished with a row 4 or are you on a row 3? It sounds like you do knit those 3 sts. The next directions may help you figure out which row you should be on. One thing, it may help to put in a lifeline right now so that you don't have to start over if anything does go amiss.
It's such a gorgeous pattern and the yarn looks lovely for it.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

I've finished with a row 4 so I still have a marker on the needle - if I would knit the next 3 stitches to the marker that would be the row 3 and the row 4 would be just 3 the stitches untill one can place the marker. I hope this makes sense?

And yes, I did want to put in a lifeline, but rather after I really finished the first triangle. I was so focussed on doing that, that I didn't realize I could put one now! Thank you!

I'll try for now to see what happens when I do knit those 3 stitches - I guess all in all it doesn't really matter anyway... It is just 3 stitches over 2 rows, they won't change anything dramatic if they are or aren't knitted...

Here is the picture of the triangle I frogged, just to show what the yarn does for this pattern:

The crochetneedle is there because of the missed knit... I couldn't fix it.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KnitBeg View Post
I've finished with a row 4 so I still have a marker on the needle - if I would knit the next 3 stitches to the marker that would be the row 3 and the row 4 would be just 3 the stitches untill one can place the marker. I hope this makes sense?

And yes, I did want to put in a lifeline, but rather after I really finished the first triangle. I was so focussed on doing that, that I didn't realize I could put one now! Thank you!

I'll try for now to see what happens when I do knit those 3 stitches - I guess all in all it doesn't really matter anyway... It is just 3 stitches over 2 rows, they won't change anything dramatic if they are or aren't knitted...

Here is the picture of the triangle I frogged, just to show what the yarn does for this pattern:

The crochetneedle is there because of the missed knit... I couldn't fix it.
So sorry about the I just saw your post and I'm going to look at the issue. I've knitted two of these recently so I should be able to help you figure it out.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
claireweber
Working the Gusset

So at the end of Row 3, you will remove the traveling marker, at this point you will have 3 stitches left to work on this row. Row 4, you will slip 1, k2.

This is when you begin your next triangle. The instructions direct you to knit to within 16 stitches of the end of row. So you will place a marker here, turn, slip 1, knit 2, place another marker (this will be a traveling marker) knit to the end of the row and then cast on 16 stitches.

As a side note: The number that I used to stagger was divisible by three (Wingspan directions instruct 16 for sockweight yarn). There was confusion for me otherwise, don't remember exactly why I was thrown off, but the multiple of three worked great.
KnitBeg (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you. I've done that, so I guess I won't be needing the lifeline this time I did do 16 stitches and it is going all right so far. I think it doesn't really matter how much stitches you use, as long as you cast on as much as you leave on the needle.

I did notice something else: I always slipped the stitch purlwise, but row 4 says knitwise! I didn't realize that untill I started the 2nd triangle (so I had already knitted all those) and I really didn't want to go back - I'll just keep that as an unique feature for my scarf I'll do it according to the pattern on the next 7 triangles, it might be interesting to see the difference. I can't really see it now as I still have the lifeline on that row...

I finished the second triangle last night. I have a bit of a problem with the thin yarn and the thick needles with blunt points - I really need to be careful to knit the stitch on the needle and not the one from the row underneath, somehow those two get mixed up easily I did not catch it one time, and tried to fix that and now I have a stockinette stitch somewhere in the 2nd triangle I thought I had fixed it so nicely and was really proud of myself, but now I see I did do it wrong - it looks OK on one side but not on the other Oh well, luckely I'm not a perfectionist - I'll keep it this way Too much work to fix it...

Halfway triangle 3 now. It is actually an easy pattern (when you just knit all the rows), easy but with a wonderful outcome . It does take longer than I thought though... I'm now 100% sure I'm a slow knitter
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I'm happy to see that you are having success with the pattern, and the yarn is so lovely You are going to have a Wingspan that you are very proud of.

In your initial post on this thread you mentioned that you are knitting this on straight needles. By the time you are knitting some of your last triangles, you will end up with a lot of stitches on your needles, and you may want to consider circulars. If you do, lace needles are excellent. I ended up switching on a recent project and it made a world of difference. You may find you are not such a slow knitter after all

Of course if you watch this video, you may feel like the world's slowest knitter World's Fastest Knitter

Seriously, though, there are tips on this video that can help to make knitting more efficient.
Woofens (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, I figures I would have a lot of stitches on the needle - but so far it works fine so I might just make it on these needles

Woah! That's seriously fast...
Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Well I sure do love the colorway you're using! It's very beautiful worked into this pattern!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,598 Posts
In response to the fastest knitter. http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-phot...-image22588612 It looks like you're supposed to pay to use it so you'll have to click the link if you want to see it. I'm one of those people that the harder I try to do something faster the more I mess up.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote