Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'm one of those people that the harder I try to do something faster the more I mess up.
Same here

I guess one should try it slow first and once you get the hang of it move faster and faster and faster - and mess up and try again . I bet the key word is experience, experience and experience.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Apparently there is more than one 'World's Fastest Knitter'
This woman is from Scotland and looks pretty kicked back to me. It is mesmerizing to watch.

World's Fastest Knitter
Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

@ClaireWeber
Never in a million years! Wow... How on earth... Seriously... I have no words for such a speed. You Go, Fast Knitting Lady!

Meanwhile, in my little corner of the world where I knit one needle while she does a whole sweater I managed to finish my WingSpan:

That's still on the needle and with the lifelines. It worked fine with straight needles, but I have to admit that it became quite heavy in the end I never thought about that - just whether it would fit or not. But I actually started to feel my wrist while knitting So I took a bit more breaks than I anticipated.

Here is it casted off:

However, I still have the lifelines in because there is enough yarn to make a 9th triangle... I'm wondering whether I should It is fine now and fits around my neck quite right - but if I would stop now I'd have all that yarn left and I don't quite know what to do with it while I'm sure it looks good in this shawl.

Is there a wingspan-bracelet or something I could make to go with this?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Wow, that's really pretty!!!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #15
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

I went for another triangle - so glad I had those lifelines It worked perfectly and once I decided for the 9th triangle I had it done in one evening.

Of course it wasn't all that smooth. I did miss putting one stitch on the lifeline as I found out when I had already casted off. I tried to fix that, but got weary of it and just sew the stitch into the shawl so it would unfold Then I found another 'loose' stitch in the 8th triangle and I really wonder how I missed that one all the time I sew that one into the shawl too. It is visable on one side but not the other - and even then you have to look really hard. Do you see them?

Having finished, I don't quite like the little holes that appear in the final knitting of the shortened rows. The pattern said I could knit the stitches that appeared like they should be knitted wrapped, wrapped - but I don't have the experience to see that. So I wondered at every stitch and decided to "just knit straight". I can logically asume that every 3th stitch (as one has the repeat 1sl2k) should be knitted wrapped, but as I messed up the stitches sometimes I couldn't really count on that Yeah, I guess I'm a bit of a messy knitter. I'm glad this shawl allows for it

BTW there is still some yarn left Even though I used thicker needles and added an extra triangle. So I guess it is safe to say that the said amount of yarn in the pattern is quite sufficient

Still no clue on what to do with the rest though... I could make a wrist warmer / bracelet but I really wonder whether I would ever wear that. Can one do a wrist warmer in the wingspan-style? That might be interesting to try
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Knitbeg - that is so beautiful! I the colors you chose. You must be a faster knitter than you think, that is fine yarn, isn't it? You got one triangle done in an evening, what size needle did you use?

I think it was here on KH, I read about someone using lifelines in case they didn't have enough yarn and needed to rip back to a certain point. That is a good use for a lifeline, I'm going to keep that in mind.

Wave Wristlet If you have enough yarn leftover, this would look nice in that yarn.
KnitBeg (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you. I didn't pick the yarn myself, it was a gift - and one I am very, very happy with.

The yarn is meant for needles 2-3 mm and I used straight needles size 4 mm. The yarn has 2 strands and I did have some problems always sticking into both strands AND avoiding the trap of sticking into the row below instead of the stitch on the needle. I made that mistake a lot in the beginning.

That WaveWristlet would be perfect, thank you so much! I've been searching everywhere, but looking for 'triangle patterns' and that didn't give quite what I was looking for. Thank you so much!
claireweber (09-25-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KnitBeg View Post
Never in a million years! Wow... How on earth... Seriously... I have no words for such a speed. You Go, Fast Knitting Lady!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
That is sooooooo beautiful! My fave pair of socks has a stitch that somehow was missed and I was not undoing the short row heels to fix it so I used a bit of yarn and secured it on the back. Sometimes that's the best way IMO.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (09-25-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #20
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

@GrumpyGramma
Thank you, it is good to know I'm not the only one who fixes stuff this way The fact that it isn't that noticable is quite the eye-opener... I might be inclined to take the easy way out more often

@ClaireWeber
As for the WaveWristlet, I figured I should try my hand on it with some stash yarn first, as I have never really knitted in the round before. I tried starting on gloves last year, but in the end my aunt made the beginning of the ribbing around the wrist and I never had the guts to start knitting any further I might go back to that project though (winter is coming), as knitting in the round isn't as hard as it seems. Still, I almost prick my eyes out with the dpns that are supposed to just hang there while knitting but somehow turn vertical on me I actually pondered on wearing safety glasses And I would if I had them.
I posted the result of my try at the WaveWristlet in my bracelets thread, post#8.