Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Sunnyworld
Casting On

Questions about a knitting a baby sweater
Hi,

I am in the process of knitting a Knitted Baby Set, Infants to 6 months, No. 107 (pattern with picture can be found at freevintageknitting.com) and I have 2 questions. In the beginning where it says “work in the above pattern until the piece measures about 5 inches at the lower edge (widest part)” should I measure the body of the sweater where the stripes to be 5 inches, the larger circle that right above the stripes or the small neck circle? Also, is this sweater knitted in one piece or do I knit the back separately?

Here is the Pattern:

PATTERN: Row 1: Knit 72 sts. Row 2: Knit 52 sts, turn. Row 3: Knit 52 sts. Row 4: Knit 62 sts, turn. Row 5: Knit 62 sts. Row 6: Knit 72 sts. Row 7: Knit 72 sts. Row 8: Knit 52 sts, turn. Row 9: Purl 46 sts, knit 6 sts. Row 10: Knit 62 sts, turn. Row 11: Knit 10 sts, purl 46 sts, knit 6 sts. Row 12: Knit 72 sts. Repeat these 12 rows for the pattern.

SWEATER: (Starting at the left front edge). Cast on 72 sts and work in the above pattern until the piece measures about 5 inches at the lower edge (widest part);ending with the 6th row of the pattern completed. Sleeve: Starting the 7th row, knit 24 sts; place the remaining 48 sts onto a stitch holder; cast on 48 sts for the sleeve. ** Knit 52 sts, turn; knit 42 sts - leaving 10 sts for the cuff -, turn; knit 52 sts, turn; knit 62 sts, turn; knit 72 sts, turn; knit 72 sts, turn; repeat from ** until the upper arm of the sleeve measures 6-inches, (widest part). Starting from the cuff and on a 72-knit row, bind off the first 48 sts; knit the remaining 24 sts. NEXT ROW: Knit 24 sts, knit the 48 sts off the st holder. Beginning with Row 8 of pattern, continue working in the pattern until the piece measures 10-inches from the sleeve bind off, ending with Row 12 completed.

Thank you,
Maryam
Sunnyworld is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,342 Times in 3,026 Posts
Hi and welcome to Knitting Help!
Measure at the lower edge of the sweater not the neck area. This is going to be the widest part of the sweater as the short rows are used to shape the yoke and neck area.
This sweater is knit in one piece so you'll knit the back after you finish the first sleeve.
I don't know if you've seen the "5-hour baby sweater" but this is an earlier version of the same pattern. It's a lovely pattern and lots of fun to knit. Nice too that it has the bonnet and booties.

http://freevintageknitting.com/baby/...t-pattern.html
Sunnyworld (09-09-2013)