Old 09-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
claireweber
Working the Gusset

My first and only knitting lesson was a three to four hour session from a woman who owned a LYS in Santa Fe. I had wanted to learn for years, and when a friend suggested we do the class together, well, I was in.

The woman who owns the store is Eastern European and seemed quite strict to me. At the time, it had been about a year since I had been involved in an automobile crash and I suffered from a closed brain injury as a result; due to the nature of the injury, I was unaware of it for a number of years.

I still look back and have a bit of a chuckle, this woman was soooo impatient with me. My short term memory was quite impacted, and it did make it difficult to learn; to this day I still struggle with it, but fortunately DH has finally realized that I have an issue.

My first project was a seed stitch scarf, an excellent way to learn the knit and purl stitches, I would recommend this to any beginner. I used Noro Kureyon and knitted it with Clover bamboo straights, size 9.
Woofens (09-11-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
You know, I remember that I did take a class with the parks and recreation dept. when I first started. I didn't learn much there. The instructor insisted we do things her way, that her way was the right way. If you've known me awhile you know how I feel about that, right? Do what works for you!

Also...you're welcome for the authors! I read a LOT! I really should look into the library since I know they do kindle now, too. As for audio books..never cared for them

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I remember my grandma teaching me to knit AND crochet...but for the longest time I stuck with crochet. I had one of those books with about 100 stitch patterns for crochet. I remember grabbing a hook and a ball of yarn and starting with Pattern #1. Did that one, ripped it out and then.....on to #2. And so on, and so on.....

THEN about 9 years ago I decided I wanted my finished pieces to look like knitted ones. So I picked up knitting again. Since then I've taught a knitting/crochet class in a homeschool group and at my church. I knit continental style but I've taught all my students to knit English, since I haven't a clue how to teach Continental. I guess because I learned English...not sure.

But, all that to say that I've enjoyed knitting and crochet. My focus is on knitting at the moment.

Happy Knitting!!!!!!!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
You know, I remember that I did take a class with the parks and recreation dept. when I first started. I didn't learn much there. The instructor insisted we do things her way, that her way was the right way. If you've known me awhile you know how I feel about that, right? Do what works for you!

I learned at the LYS, with the owner, and she was perplexed with what I was doing because it wasn't quite what she was teaching me, but she said that fabric looked good so it must have been okay and she let me continue that way. I asked what I was doing differently, but she couldn't (or wouldn't) say.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I learned to crochet from my grandmother as a kid and crocheted for years. I think I taught myself to knit in my 20's and made one of those big bulky double stranded wrap around sweaters with a belt. I got as far as the front and neck band and never finished it. It was in those wonderful 70's colors. The main part was an off white with dark green, orange, and dark brown. I think the only other thing I knit was a sweater for my husband. Went back to crocheting until a couple of years ago when I decided that as a leftie I was tired of transposing the fancier, more complicated, stitches and started knitting again. Now it seems weird to pick up a crochet hook.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABC's Mom For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-11-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Like a lot of people I remember both my mam and my Gran knitting and crocheting when I was a kid. My Gran especially made the most intricate crocheted doilies that I'd ever seen, she used what looked like sewing thread, it was so fine. I was taught to knit but never took to it, riding bikes and falling out of trees was more my style!

Fast forward about 30+ years and I was a mission to simplify. I was growing summer veggies, de-cluttering and looking at ways to reduce our footprint on the earth. On another forum, someone mentioned knitted dishcloths and wash cloths, and I realized that I could break our reliance on paper towels for everything if I knitted my own cloths! The paper towels had become my latest target in my simplification quest!

About a month later my mam and brother visited from England. She'd hardly stepped through the front door before I presented her with needles and cotton and asked to be taught how to knit again! I, and she, were amazed by how much I remembered once I got going. I knit a lot of dishcloths that year!

Naturally I moved on, I still knit the cloths when the old ones wear out but I now also knit other small things like gloves, hats and socks. I'm determined to improve and I'm working on my first cabled project at the moment, I'm also working up to a bigger item, like a vest or jumper perhaps.

I'm so glad I did all of that decluttering about four years ago.... I must have been subconsciously making space for all the yarn I didn't know I'd be needing!!

Oh, and I don't fall out of trees any more but I do still do a lot of bike riding!!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butlersabroad For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-12-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

How I learned to knit
I learned to knit as a teenager when my English teacher was expecting. Al the girls inmy class decide to give her a baby shower in class.The few boys in the class helped with the decoration and drinks and chips. I bought yellow yarn and Learn to Knit booklet and needles.
I picked the easiest item in the booklet and started. It was a baby blanket with a stockinette background with purled outline boxes in graduated sizes going from large to small in center and going from small to large at the other end of the blanket. After she had the baby, I got a card from her, saying that her little boy enjoyed laying on the blanket and feeling the texture of the purl stitches on the smooth stockinette background.

Many years later I picked up my needles again and had to relearn how to cast on again but it all came back after I found this forum and Knitting paradise forum.
Now I have branched out into making gloves with a circular needle using the Magic Loop.
Woofens (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Daylily, that is the sweetest story! What a great memory for you and an heirloom for the child!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
janae1987
Ribbing the Cuff

I learned when I was 22...self taught via youtube. I decided that I needed something to do while my fiance (then boyfriend) was watching football, playing xbox, etc!

knitchick87 on Ravelry! add me to your friends!

Happily Married since 10/05/13!!
janae1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to janae1987 For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-16-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by janae1987 View Post
I learned when I was 22...self taught via youtube. I decided that I needed something to do while my fiance (then boyfriend) was watching football, playing xbox, etc!

Congratulations! I just read your post, ten days and counting down.
janae1987 (09-25-2013)