Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
MrsGunn
Casting On

Please help me work out these increases :)
Hi everyone

I have taught myself to knit and so far done quite well. Its just my interpretations of some things dont work out quite right!!

Im currently making such a cute little v neck baby boys jumper and Im on the sleeves. Now im stuck on the increases :(

There are 8 rows that form the pattern and i have to repeat them whilst increasing stitches.

It says: Inc 1 stitch at each end of 3rd and every following 4th row to 58 stitches....

Sooooo...would I increase on row 3 the 4 rows after that? Coz it would end up being increase on row 3, then row 7, then row 3 twice?? etc. Hope that makes sense :S

Thanks in advance.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello, and welcome.

Yes, you're correct that you will do your first increases on row 3 and then every 4th row after that. So you will keep doing increases on rows 3 and 7 (of the 8 row pattern) until you have the correct number of stitches.

Oh by the way, I like your signature.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
MrsGunn
Casting On

Thanks sooo much for your reply. Im going to write it on paper what i need to do so I dont get lost lol. So would I just increase once on row 3 after the first time? Because the bit im confused on is when i count the 4th row after row 7...its 3 lol. Hope im still making sense

Lol I found it on a website and thought it was soo funny
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by MrsGunn View Post
Thanks sooo much for your reply. Im going to write it on paper what i need to do so I dont get lost lol. So would I just increase once on row 3 after the first time? Because the bit im confused on is when i count the 4th row after row 7...its 3 lol. Hope im still making sense

Lol I found it on a website and thought it was soo funny
Writing down what row(s) you need to do your increases on is a good idea.

With regard to increasing just once on row 3 after the first time. If you're asking if you still need to increase at each end of the row, the answer is 'yes'. If you're asking if you need to continue increasing on further row(s) that will depend on the number of stitches you had before starting your increases.

Your repeats for your pattern rows and increase row will read something like this:

Pattern rows 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Increase rows1 2 3 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1

Every number in bold represents an increase row.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
MrsGunn
Casting On

Ahhhh I get it now. I read it that I had to keep increasing on the 3rd row aswell!! Haha that would have ended in a disaster!

Thankyou so much for your help you've been great and made it really easy for me to understand.

So excited to get this jumper finished and onto the next

Thanks again
Dclutterchique (09-18-2013)