Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
savedglory
Casting On

How do I "turn the work"? Confusing pattern instructions are confusing
So, I've "turned the work" before, but these pattern instructions are driving me insane, because I can't figure out the "turn" for them. Basically, I'm knitting a hoodie sweater for my cat (lol, yes, I know), and before this row, I've been doing St st for 8 rows. I ended on a Purl row, making the next row a knit. So these instructions are next:

"Knit to end of front stitches; turn, cast on 8 using cable cast on, turn; k back stitches; turn, CO8 using cable cast on, turn; join in the round, k5. Turn, pm, purl 1 round to marker."

I knit to the end of the row. Got that far. But then it says to turn. So I turned. Now I'm facing a Purl row. I cast on 8 sts with cable cast on.

Now though....how do I turn? If I turn the work, either the yarn is going to wind up stretching behind the row I'm going to knit, or I can't turn at all. Soooo confused right now. Not to mention frustrated.

Can anyone help?
savedglory is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by savedglory View Post
So, I've "turned the work" before, but these pattern instructions are driving me insane, because I can't figure out the "turn" for them. Basically, I'm knitting a hoodie sweater for my cat (lol, yes, I know), and before this row, I've been doing St st for 8 rows. I ended on a Purl row, making the next row a knit. So these instructions are next:

"Knit to end of front stitches; turn, cast on 8 using cable cast on, turn; k back stitches; turn, CO8 using cable cast on, turn; join in the round, k5. Turn, pm, purl 1 round to marker."

I knit to the end of the row. Got that far. But then it says to turn. So I turned. Now I'm facing a Purl row. I cast on 8 sts with cable cast on.

Now though....how do I turn? If I turn the work, either the yarn is going to wind up stretching behind the row I'm going to knit, or I can't turn at all. Soooo confused right now. Not to mention frustrated.

Can anyone help?
Confusing instructions, indeed, they certainly are. I, for one, am not able to make sense of this, but I am certain someone will come along to apply their wizardly skills. I am posting what I am assuming is a link to the pattern.

Cat Hoodie
Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
savedglory
Casting On

Ahh, at least I'm not crazy!!! I've been knitting for years, but I just can't figure this dang thing out.

Also, yeah, that's the link to the pattern I'm following.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
At this point you're casting on over the bound off sts to complete the leg openings and going on to re-join to knit in the round again.

Knit to end of front stitches; turn, (now take the needle with the working yarn hanging off the tip in your left hand and prepare to cable cast on)
cast on 8 using cable cast on, turn; (now take the needle with the cast on sts in your right hand and continue to knit joining to the back sts)
k back stitches; turn, (needle to the left hand for cast on)
CO8 using cable cast on, turn; (needle to the right hand to continue to knit joining to the front sts)
join in the round, k5. Turn, (you've knit half the front 10sts and are going to mark the center front opening before beginning the hood)
pm, purl 1 round to marker."
Up until the very last direction you'll be knitting (knit stitch) on the outside (RS) of the sweater. All the turns are given to help you with the cast on and the direction of the knitting.
claireweber (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
savedglory
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Welcome to Knitting Help!
At this point you're casting on over the bound off sts to complete the leg openings and going on to re-join to knit in the round again.

Knit to end of front stitches; turn, (now take the needle with the working yarn hanging off the tip in your left hand and prepare to cable cast on)
cast on 8 using cable cast on, turn; (now take the needle with the cast on sts in your right hand and continue to knit joining to the back sts)
k back stitches; turn, (needle to the left hand for cast on)
CO8 using cable cast on, turn; (needle to the right hand to continue to knit joining to the front sts)
join in the round, k5. Turn, (you've knit half the front 10sts and are going to mark the center front opening before beginning the hood)
pm, purl 1 round to marker."
Up until the very last direction you'll be knitting (knit stitch) on the outside (RS) of the sweater. All the turns are given to help you with the cast on and the direction of the knitting.

OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I think I was just thinking too much about what it meant to "knit back". I thought the instructions meant "knit back on the row you were on" but that was impossible since I was on a purl row. But now I see that I need to knit the BACK SECTION to join it to the one I'm working on to make the neck and then begin the hood.

Really appreciate your prompt help!!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
claireweber
Working the Gusset

[quote=savedglory;1386295 I was just thinking too much about what it meant to "knit back". I thought the instructions meant "knit back on the row you were on"[/QUOTE]

This is what had me stumped also. Thankfully we have other minds here to clarify these things for us.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
That's English for you. We have all these equisitely precise words and then we also have hard-working words that do double, triple and quadruple duty with slightly different meanings.
Glad it all makes sense.
GrumpyGramma (09-24-2013)