Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Elorahd
Ribbing the Cuff

Newbie ques: is it supposed to get longer?
I'm knitting for my very first time and the pattern for the piece I'm doing called for casting on 56 stitches then to knit until it's 36 inches. I assumed it would stay at 56 stitches but it seems to be getting wider because my needles are really full after I'm done with a row and I'm going to have to change to circular needles if I want to keep going because I can't fit anymore on. Is this what's supposed to happen? I'm a little confused.
Elorahd is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It should only get wider if you're making a triangular shaped shawl or something and are increasing the number of stitches intentionally as part of the pattern.

There are many ways that we accidentally increase stitches. There is, in fact, a sticky on that very subject.

If you have a link to the pattern so we know what it is you're supposed to be making, that would be helpful.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Elorahd
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok. Here is the pattern:

http://www.redheart.com/free-pattern...crochet-mobius
Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Hey Elorahd - Welcome to KH! Congratulations on your first knitting project. There are many people here that are happy to assist fellow knitters.

Have you counted the number of stitches that are on your needle? The rows after your cast on row will naturally be larger in width, the cast on row is generally going to be less in width than the following rows.

As Ingrid suggested, a link to the pattern would be helpful. When you count the number of stitches on your needle and if you find that there are more than 56, there are a number of reasons why this could happen. I have been knitting for a number of years now, but find that on occasion (probably more frequently than I would care to admit) I do not drop a stitch from the left needle after knitting it, and will knit another stitch into it. This is only one of what can be many reasons why someone could end up with more stitches than they are supposed to have.

If you do not have a link to the pattern, even the name could prove to be helpful. If you can provide this, and count the stitches on your needle, that would be useful for us to be able to help.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Elorahd
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok, something is very wrong , then. I probably have 120 stitches by now. (I've got about 6 inches finished) I don't see how I could have accidentally added on that many. The pattern looks fine, too, there's just a lot of it. Also, the starting edge is straight but the other edge slants upward like the rows are getting longer.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Elorahd View Post
Ok. Here is the pattern:

http://www.redheart.com/free-pattern...crochet-mobius
Thank you for your prompt reply. Well, this pattern is done in a garter stitch, I'm not familiar with the yarn, but if you're using a 10 1/2 needle the yarn is probably somewhat bulky. The finished wrap measures 16" x 36"; I can imagine 16" is going to be a difficult dimension to work on straight needles in a bulky yarn. Could you count the stitches on your needle and get back to us?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Elorahd
Ribbing the Cuff

Is a garter stitch different from the regular knit stitch?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Ok, something is very wrong , then. I probably have 120 stitches by now. (I've got about 6 inches finished) I don't see how I could have accidentally added on that many. The pattern looks fine, too, there's just a lot of it. Also, the starting edge is straight but the other edge slants upward like the rows are getting longer.
Wow! That's a lot of stitches My guess is that you are doing the same thing that I have a tendency to do. You will probably need to start over, sorry, as you knit each stitch you will need to completely drop it from your left needle.

Another thing that could be happening is that you are adding what are referred to as 'yarn-overs' as you knit. Make sure that you are not adding any loops as you knit from one stitch to the next.

I am not very familiar with the videos on our site here, I'm going to take a quick look now and get back to you on this. There are some common mistakes and I'm pretty sure we have a video on this. Be right back.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Is a garter stitch different from the regular knit stitch?
It is a straight knit stitch worked back and forth. I found a post I'll copy and paste it here:

Most common ways to increase stitches accidentally:
1. At the end of the row. Unless you keep the yarn pulled *down* and *back*, the last stitch can look like two stitches. Be sure to keep the yarn pulled down and back.
2. Splitting stitches. Slipping the needle point *into* a stitch instead of *under* the stitch can result in two stitches where there should be one. Or slipping the needle point *into* the working yarn instead of wrapping the yarn around the needle can result in two stitches where there should be one. Be careful to slip the needle point *under* the stitch, catch the working yarn completely, and pull it through making a single stitch.
3. Letting the working yarn lay over the needle. If you don't get the working yarn completely through the stitch before you slide the stitch onto the working needle, you can get a wrap of yarn that looks like a stitch and is really an incomplete stitch. If you then work into that wrap as well as in the stitch (which is actually left over from the previous row), you've added a stitch.
justplaincharlotte (09-28-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
Elorahd
Ribbing the Cuff

I know I'm dropping my thread completely from the needle. I might have a few stitch overs but not enough to make up twice the stitches I started with. Besides, if I'd screwed up that much, wouldn't the pattern look all wonky?