Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

pattern instructions help
The sweater pattern I am working on (Rene Cardigan) says the following: ”Shaping on all pieces should be worked one stitch in from the selvedge edges, keeping the seam stitches of every piece in stockinette. This will facilitate smooth seaming.

What exactly does this mean? And how do you do it? Do you just always stockinette (knit rs and purl ws) those stitches and then work the pattern? Or do you slip them?

Do you only slip/stockinette (whichever one is correct) the stitch that is on the side of the piece that will become part of a seam (like the left side of the left front where it will be seamed to the back, the right side of the right front where it will be seamed to the back, both sides of the back and both sides of each sleeve where the sleeve will be seamed to itself) or on all edges?

Do you only do this at places where “shaping” is going on, like at the armholes or neckline?

Also, are these stitches included in the cast-on number or do I have to know where they need to be added and then add them (for example, the left front says to cast-on 85. Do I assume that number includes the one(?) extra stitch needed for selvedge on the left side or do I cast on an additional stitch for a total of 86? Or cast-on 87 and slip/stockinette on each side?

I’m kinda confused here. Help please?!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

”Shaping on all pieces should be worked one stitch in from the selvedge edges, keeping the seam stitches of every piece in stockinette. This will facilitate smooth seaming.”

The sweater is patterned (cables and ribbing). The selvedge sts (outermost st on all edges, 1st st) are NOT worked in pattern. They are to be worked in stockinette. Often you slip selvedge sts and I suspect that if you were to do so, it would work out okay. The point here is simply to keep your selvedge sts neat (either slipped or stockinette) and NOT to work them in the pattern OR in your shaping. All shaping (increase/decreases) should be done on the second st (one in from the edge).

Last edited by RochesterKnitter : 10-02-2013 at 07:06 AM.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RochesterKnitter For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by RochesterKnitter View Post
”Shaping on all pieces should be worked one stitch in from the selvedge edges, keeping the seam stitches of every piece in stockinette. This will facilitate smooth seaming.”

The sweater is patterned (cables and ribbing). The selvedge sts (outermost st on all edges, 1st st) are NOT worked in pattern. They are to be worked in stockinette. Often you slip selvedge sts and I suspect that if you were to do so, it would work out okay. The point here is simply to keep you selvedge sts neat (either slipped or stockinette) and NOT to work them in the pattern OR in your shaping. All shaping (increase/decreases) should be done on the second st (one in from the edge).
OK, let me see if I understand this...using the Back as an example, the pattern says to cast on 177 stitches, so the 1st st and the 177th st on each row are to be kept in st stitch and I start the cable and rib pattern on st 2 and end it on st 176? So what do I do about the pattern chart, which uses all 177 stitches for the pattern? It is a 12 row pattern...the odd rows (1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11) are RS rows and begin and end with a purl stitch. The even rows (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12) are WS rows that begin and end with a knit stitch. Do I just reverse that and make the odd (RS) rows begin and end with a knit stitch and the even (WS) rows begin and end with a purl stitch or are they fine the way they are written?

The sleeves are the only pieces that may be problematic as the odd rows begin and end with a k1tbl. What would I do there?

Also when I do the shaping (for example, to shape the armholes on the back), it says to BO x number of stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. Do I include the selvage st as one of the stitches to be bound off or do I skip the selvage st and start the bind off with the 2nd stitch in the row. Or, after I bind off the specified number of stitches on a row beginning with the selvage stitch, does the next stitch become the selvage stitch and I work that in st stitch? or do I just work that in pattern as the chart says to?

I know I'm getting really specific about this and folks may think I'm stupid but I just want to get it right and learn so I can apply it to future projects as well. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

"the pattern says to cast on 177 stitches, so the 1st st and the 177th st on each row are to be kept in st stitch?"

Yes

"So what do I do about the pattern chart, which uses all 177 stitches for the pattern? ...the odd rows (1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11) are RS rows and begin and end with a purl stitch. The even rows (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12) are WS rows that begin and end with a knit stitch."

This is simply 'reverse stockinette.' Work the selvedge sts as per the pattern chart.

"The sleeves are the only pieces that may be problematic as the odd rows begin and end with a k1tbl. What would I do there?"

Are the sleeves knitted flat or in the round? Doing a k1tbl simply twists the st. This creates a slight visual variance (especially if the piece is flat and the st in the middle) and tightens the st a bit.

"it says to BO x number of stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. Do I include the selvage st as one of the stitches to be bound off?"

Yes

"After I bind off the specified number of stitches on a row beginning with the selvage stitch, does the next stitch become the selvage stitch?"

In theory, unless you are specificaly told not to.

"Or do I just work that in pattern as the chart says to?"

Again, if you are told to.

Last edited by RochesterKnitter : 10-02-2013 at 07:06 AM.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RochesterKnitter For This Useful Post:
yarnrainbow (10-03-2013)