Old 09-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Jackson's first sock
As most of you know, my darling grandsons (now 6 and 13) put up with their Nonny making them socks for Christmas. I am pretty late getting started, but have the first sock for the younger grandson, Jackson finished and started number 2. Thomas's won't get started until we get back from the cruise, which is less than two weeks because I have to order his yarn and I can't decide on the color. I have gone through most of the color combos knitpicks has so have started buying Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn and there are so many gorgeous combos it is hard to choose. So here you go. This is prewashing preblocking so still a bit on the lumpy side. Sock number one in Knitpicks blackberry and whisker. I don't use a pattern just the basic sock measurement info and do my thing!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacksonspurplesock.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	57061  
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
That is a nice sock. The pair will be 2x nice! I like making socks that way too. Patterns...for a simple sock, forget it! I have to look at the Lorna's Laces yarn. I've been having trouble finding sock yarn I want too. Thanks for mentioning what you're going to use.

Right now I have socks for my DD and DS OTN. I'm almost ready to start the "girdle" ribbing around the foot on DD's and as soon as DS tries his on again, I can finish the tall tops. I intend to start wearing only hand knit socks, but that means I have to finish theirs and start my own!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
nonny2t (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Olha
Turning the Heel

Lovely! I like different stripe widths. Do you carry the yarn on the inside or cut it and weave in the ends?
nonny2t (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Olha View Post
Lovely! I like different stripe widths. Do you carry the yarn on the inside or cut it and weave in the ends?
I carry it up at least for these socks. If I make socks with really wide bands I would cut as I have not caught onto "catching" floaters.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
nonny2t
Instepping Out

O bought this book several years ago by Charlene Schurch called Sensational Knitted Socks and it is my go to book for socks. She has 4,5,6,7,and 8 stitch patterns you can use. She has charts that allow you to figure out exactly the size to make and I use those charts unfailingly. She also teaches toe up and cuff down how to make a sock and different heels. I even used her stitch patterns when I made the two belts I just finished. I swear by this book and have never had a sock not fit perfectly if given the proper shoe size.

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
That is a nice sock. The pair will be 2x nice! I like making socks that way too. Patterns...for a simple sock, forget it! I have to look at the Lorna's Laces yarn. I've been having trouble finding sock yarn I want too. Thanks for mentioning what you're going to use.

Right now I have socks for my DD and DS OTN. I'm almost ready to start the "girdle" ribbing around the foot on DD's and as soon as DS tries his on again, I can finish the tall tops. I intend to start wearing only hand knit socks, but that means I have to finish theirs and start my own!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
claireweber (09-25-2013), GrumpyGramma (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,377 Times in 3,060 Posts
Your sock looks wonderful and the colors are a good choice for your younger grandson. I'm looking forward to sock 2 and also the second pair. Thanks very much for the bood recommendation. Sounds like a great reference. Enjoy the cruise! Will you take any knitting along with you?
nonny2t (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
nonny2t
Instepping Out

You are kidding, right? My knitting goes where I go. I just have to decide what to take as I have pretty much wrapped up all the stuff I was behind on. I do have a pair of socks for myself I need to finish so maybe I will take those. As to the book, I have found nothing better. I sound like I am getting a kickback from her, but for someone who wouldn't knit socks for years because they scared me, her books really made me a sock knitter lover. We leave for Florida (we drive to the port from Memphis) a week from Thursday and we are like little kids again. Us old folks take 3 days to drive down and two to drive back as it makes it easier on us. Those 10-14 hour drives are long behind us now. We can do it, but everything seems to hurt and we are exhausted when we get wherever we are going. We like traveling by car so we just make sure we don't overdo it anymore.

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Your sock looks wonderful and the colors are a good choice for your younger grandson. I'm looking forward to sock 2 and also the second pair. Thanks very much for the bood recommendation. Sounds like a great reference. Enjoy the cruise! Will you take any knitting along with you?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
claireweber
Working the Gusset

My first sock book thank you so much for the recommendation nonni

Sensational Knitted Socks, $52.51 on amazon for a new paperbook; I found one a third the price, new, on ebay. I'm very excited about the prospect of making socks now.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Lovely sock, nonny! Your Jackson is a lucky young man!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
nonny2t (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
nonny2t
Instepping Out

You will not regret it. I have the large paperback book and didn't pay near that.

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
My first sock book thank you so much for the recommendation nonni

Sensational Knitted Socks, $52.51 on amazon for a new paperbook; I found one a third the price, new, on ebay. I'm very excited about the prospect of making socks now.

Last edited by nonny2t : 09-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.