Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Unravelling - Recycling Yarn
I love to find sweaters at thrift stores, made from gorgeous yarn. Because I can unravel them and make what I want!

Recently, I came across a red sweater, with bad seams that were coming apart. It was handknit, and the seams were not serged, so I knew I would be able to unravel it.

Brought it home, and got started, then used my yarn winder to make quick work of it. Now, I have lots and lots of nice boucle yarn.

Unravelling Red Sweater by Shandeh, on Flickr
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (11-01-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

A friend of mine does the same thing. I've never tried it, but I'm going to have to start looking. My mom, my sister, and I are always shopping at thrift stores, and it would be a great way to get cheaper yarn!

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31
KnittinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Great colors! I'm gonna start hitting the thrift stores. Thanks for sharing.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Mmmm, lovely basket of yarn and in my favorite color. I couldn't have passed it up either. It'll be happy in its new life, whatever you choose to make with it.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
sandylee222
Banned

Nice yarn! It's a great idea to get cheap yarn on the thrift stores.
sandylee222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Recycled yarn still on the brain...I got a sweater-vest at the thrift store the other day.

Shendeh, you mentioned that the sweater you bought was hand-knit. Can you only use handmade garments for recycling yarn? I took apart one that was commercial-made, but it was sooo hard to unravel because it was seamed with sewing thread along the edges. And now it's in about a dozen little skeins! Did I do something wrong? It's pretty fine, almost like sock yarn...actually, not even really like yarn. It's almost like embroidery floss, made up of little threads.

Also, I was wanting to use it for a lacey scarf, but since it's kink-y from being previously knit, will it make my scarf look rumply or something?

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31
Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Hi KG!
If the seams are sewn with sewing thread, they are not a good choice for unravelling. Those seams have been serged, and the fabric is trimmed along the side as it is stitched. So, if you pull it apart, you will just get lots of yarn strands which are not very long. Now you have experience on your side, and know how to avoid those.

All yarn is curly when you unravel it. I usually wind it on a swift, or around a chairback, gently add some securing ties all around the hank, then get it wet, and gently squeeze it dry in a rolled up towel, then hang it to dry, with some weight pulling it straight. (Not too heavy, to avoid stretching) This pulls out the kinks, and it looks like new yarn.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (11-01-2013), KnittinGal (08-16-2013), PurpleDolphinGirl (11-06-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you! That is a big help! Next time I go shopping, I will have to take a better look at the seams to make sure they aren't serged.

And I will definitely try wetting down the yarn!

Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by KnittinGal View Post
Recycled yarn still on the brain...I got a sweater-vest at the thrift store the other day.

Shendeh, you mentioned that the sweater you bought was hand-knit. Can you only use handmade garments for recycling yarn? I took apart one that was commercial-made, but it was sooo hard to unravel because it was seamed with sewing thread along the edges. And now it's in about a dozen little skeins! Did I do something wrong? It's pretty fine, almost like sock yarn...actually, not even really like yarn. It's almost like embroidery floss, made up of little threads.

Also, I was wanting to use it for a lacey scarf, but since it's kink-y from being previously knit, will it make my scarf look rumply or something?
Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
Hi KG!
If the seams are sewn with sewing thread, they are not a good choice for unravelling. Those seams have been serged, and the fabric is trimmed along the side as it is stitched. So, if you pull it apart, you will just get lots of yarn strands which are not very long. Now you have experience on your side, and know how to avoid those.

All yarn is curly when you unravel it. I usually wind it on a swift, or around a chairback, gently add some securing ties all around the hank, then get it wet, and gently squeeze it dry in a rolled up towel, then hang it to dry, with some weight pulling it straight. (Not too heavy, to avoid stretching) This pulls out the kinks, and it looks like new yarn.
According to Techknitter it's sometimes possible to iron out the kinks, but I would only use this method on yarn I know is clean. If in doubt I would use the wetting method and give the yarn a wash at the same time.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Speaking of recycling yarn.............

Yesterday I recycled some yarn from an old afghan I crocheted over 20 years ago. It was made with acrylic yarn and I'm wondering if I need to go thru this whole process with this yarn. I've rolled it all up on separate balls, which have turned out as big as basketballs, but the yarn still has kinks in it.

I'm planning on using it to knit some prayer shawls. Should I go ahead and knit with it the way it is or try to straighten it out????

Thanks,
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote