Old 03-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Any Metal Detector Fans out there?
My DH has been pestering me to get him a metal detector for quite a long time and I've kept putting it off because, well, basically I think it's silly so I forgot about it.

Hey, I'm a girl and I'm human.

So he brought it up again today and his birthday is at the end of May so I thought I'd better start looking into it seriously this time. Does anyone know where you start when it comes to researching a metal detector?? I have absolutely no clue about anything with these contraptions! I don't want to get screwed out of a few hundred dollars on something that's a piece of crap. So I turn once again to my fellow knitters who know pretty much everything about everything!

This is going to be used strictly for 'play' for him, but something that will work 95% of the time. Is that asking too much?? Oh, and I don't want to spend $1,000 on one either.

TIA!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Me too
I want to know peoples opinions too
especially if there is a reasonably priced one that shows what you have found before you dig
at least the basic shape, and size

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
Depends what you want it for. As an archaeologist I would strongly advise you to check up on the legal status of using metal detectors in your area. I don't know about the USA but in the UK many people either intentionally or unintentionally have destroyed archaeological sites by digging through important layers to retrieve artefacts that then loose all their associated context. In Ireland they are illegal unless an archaeologist uses it, and never near a monument. Many archaeologists hate metal detectorists, but I believe that there are many responsible clubs that train their members in ethical uses. Good ones are very expensive and an experienced user can tell what type of metal is being detected by the sound it makes. Only going by UK prices but they start at $300

Last edited by Lucy78green : 03-03-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: more info
Lucy78green is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy78green For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (10-31-2013)
Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

All I know, is my boyfriend spent about $1,200 a couple of years ago on a metal detector. I don't remember what brand it was though. Anyhow, he used it a few times, and it now sits in the basement unused, collecting dust and probably will rust away before he even thinks about using it again. On the other hand, I have a lot of fond memories from when I was little, my dad had a metal detector and I loved spending time with him using it. He used it pretty frequently. Never found much of value, usually just change and odd bits of metal. The quality time with him was worth more than anything he ever found though, I'll say that. Go on, get it for DH. He'll appreciate it.

Here is a link that may/may not be helpful. I am pretty sure this is where we got ours.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by KnitClickChick View Post
All I know, is my boyfriend spent about $1,200 a couple of years ago on a metal detector......he used it a few times, and it now sits in the basement unused, collecting dust and probably will rust away before he even thinks about using it again. On the other hand, I have a lot of fond memories from when I was little, my dad had a metal detector and I loved spending time with him using it. He used it pretty frequently. Never found much of value, usually just change and odd bits of metal. The quality time with him was worth more than anything he ever found though, I'll say that. Go on, get it for DH. He'll appreciate it.

Here is a link that may/may not be helpful. I am pretty sure this is where we got ours.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm

See!! This is my exact problem. DH loves 'toys' and begs for them and then they sit and collect dust and end up in the trash after a year of non-use. I just know this is how it'll be with the detector and I don't have $1,200 to spend on a dust collecting toy.

I wonder if I can find a used one or something....I'll have to check on that. Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
qaguy
Casting On

I would suggest something in the Bounty Hunter series of detectors. I own three of these machines and love them all. They have many of the features of the higher priced units but they are a fraction of the cost. $300 will get you a nice Bounty Hunter with accessories.
qaguy is offline   Reply With Quote