Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
I commend you Jinx. I'm on a hiatus right now, but I'm getting my associates degree in applied science, then On to my bachelors to become a social worker/therapist for vets with PTSD. I had planned to work with abused children but after getting involved with the Vietnam Veterans of America, I realized how great the need is. It's truly a shame.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woofens For This Useful Post:
lialtSole (11-09-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #22
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
Jinx, good for you. Jimmy Beans is much cheaper than any other form of therapy plus you end up with hats, sweaters and all sorts of good things. Wonderful work that you are doing at the VA. I like and admire the staff I've met at the VA hospital in Washington.
Janis, good luck in pursuing your degree. It's in a much needed specialty.
Woofens (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
I commend you Jinx. I'm on a hiatus right now, but I'm getting my associates degree in applied science, then On to my bachelors to become a social worker/therapist for vets with PTSD. I had planned to work with abused children but after getting involved with the Vietnam Veterans of America, I realized how great the need is. It's truly a shame.
Oh, that's great! We have two programs at my VA hospital. One is a mental health clinic that is at another location, but we also have behavioral health right in our clinic, with several social workers and two clinical psychologists. Whenever we get someone who's suicidal we can do a "warm handoff," to any of them. We have tai chi and yoga, biofeedback and meditation.

The need for therapists and LCSWs is huge, as some of the vets coming back from the Middle East are also very traumatized. There is no shortage of men and women who have been scarred by war!
So good luck and keep chipping away towards you degree/s. It helps to be passionate about it, and it sounds like you are!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
Woofens (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Jinx, good for you. Jimmy Beans is much cheaper than any other form of therapy plus you end up with hats, sweaters and all sorts of good things. Wonderful work that you are doing at the VA. I like and admire the staff I've met at the VA hospital in Washington.
Janis, good luck in pursuing your degree. It's in a much needed specialty.
Thanks, Salmonmac! The knitting is great therapy, and now that I'm venturing into socks, all family and friends will reap the bounty!

Most of the people working at the VA are great folks, and I really enjoy my coworkers. And, every so often I get presents from patients:
home grown tomatoes, gift cards for Whole Foods, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, crocheted mug rugs, candy bars, a knife???? and one guy wanted to give me a pound of marijuana (which I politely refused, eegads!). Best of all is when a little old WWII vet gives me a hug! So I really do have a great job most days!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (11-06-2013), justplaincharlotte (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #25
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Willow Yarn is a division of Herrschners, a Wisconsin based online craft store. Some other folks have said Herrschners yarn is similar to cheaper brands like Red Heart, but i don't know if that also applies to Willow Yarn or if they're using another supplier.

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butlersabroad For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (11-06-2013), salmonmac (11-06-2013)