Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Boot Cuff - Rib or not?
I'm not sure whether this question belongs in this section of the forum, or maybe under "patterns".

My question: do boot cuffs need a rib-pattern at top/bottom to keep them elastic, or do they keep their shape if you use for example just seed stitch?

For I would like to make boot cuffs that go with a scarf in seed stitch and I think it would be nice to not have a rib showing, but just the seed stitch.
Should I knit a rib and just "drape" the boot cuff in such a way that it isn't visible, or can I just let the rib be and knit the whole thing in seed stitch?

I tried figuring it out by just checking out some patterns, but I don't really get a clear answer - most are ribbed, some aren't but the consequences of not having the rib aren't mentioned.

To be clear: I mean boot cuffs that do not go over the boot - they just go around the calf or ankle (like short legwarmers)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Seed stitch (unlike rib) isn't a very hugging stitch, so, if you want you boot cuffs to stay up, you'll probably need some rib in your pattern.

If you want a more 'slouchy' boot cuff you may be able to get away without the rib.

For an idea of how to work in a hidden rib support take a look at the Downton Hat Pattern and video tutorial (14.30). You would work in 1x1 rib to blend in with the seed stitch.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-11-2014), KnitBeg (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you, that is very helpful - I think I'll go for the 1/1-rib and just see how it looks for it might become too "stockinette" if my circumference is a bit wide.
BTW, that is a wonderful hat

On the other hand, following your reasoning to use rib to keep the cuff up, seed stitch with some elastics on the inside might also do the trick - choices, choices, choices .
Dclutterchique (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,424 Times in 3,103 Posts
Those are good ideas. What about a ribbed cuff that folds over to the inside? It would be hidden so that all you would see was the seed stitch and yet you would have the rib working to hold the cuff up. You might even stitch down the rib to the inside of the seed stitch. I haven't tried this, just wondering.
KnitBeg (02-15-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Those are good ideas. What about a ribbed cuff that folds over to the inside? It would be hidden so that all you would see was the seed stitch and yet you would have the rib working to hold the cuff up. You might even stitch down the rib to the inside of the seed stitch. I haven't tried this, just wondering.

I've done this. It worked great.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-11-2014), KnitBeg (02-15-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
The ribbed cuff folded to the inside sounds like a good idea. I was picturing (from the top) some seed stitich, some rib and some more seed stitich,with the upper bit of seed stitch folded out over the rib. A bit like a turn up (turn down?) or cuff on a pair of trousers. But Salmonmac's way strikes me as less complicated and far neater looking.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (02-15-2014)