Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Nargess
Casting On

The bayside pullover
Hello,

I am planning to make my first pullover, and I chose bayside pullover. I have some blusky alpacas suri merino yarns. I knit the gauge and it's ok.
My problem is that I don't understand the pattern very well. What is a yoke?
Right after cast on my problem starts:
"Setup row(ws): P1 right front st,pm,k2,p6,k2,pm,p6 sleeve sts,pm,k2,p6,k2,pm,p18 back sts,pm,k2,p6,k2,p6,k2,pm,p6 sleeve sts ,pm,k2,p6,k2,p6,k2,pm,p1 left fron st"
It follows with Reglan increase neck shaping.

I don't know what the yoke is and also what does it mean p1 right front st?

Thank you for help.
Kind regards,
Nargess
Nargess is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
The yoke is the part of the sweater below the neck and covering the shoulders. It's above the sleeves and body of the sweater. You're going to knit this sweater top down.
It's a cardigan and the instructions are telling you that the first p1 stitch is the right front and the last p1 is the left front.
Nargess (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Nargess
Casting On

Thanks for the reply
So does that mean "p1 right front st" is a normal purl stitch and the "p1 left front st " is a twisted purl stitch which is coming from inserting the needle from the back of the loop?

Here is the link to the bayside pullover, it is not a cardigan:
http://www.coastalknits.com/pattern_...e_pullover.php

Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanks for the link. The line you quoted treats both the right and left front sts at straight purl sts. Is there another instructions that makes you think the left front st is through the back loop?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Nargess
Casting On

No, I thought it is that way because you said "the first p1 stitch is the right front and the last p1 is the left front."
I don't know any other purl stitch than the normal purl stitch and the one from back loop. If they are both normal purl stitches then why the instruction says right front and left front. This right and left front is making me very confused.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Ah, sorry for the confusion. When I said the first p1 is the right front and the second the left front, I meant the right and left front of the sweater. Since you're working on a wrong side row (ws), you'll purl the first stitch on the right front of the sweater. Right and left fronts refer to the sides of the sweater as you would wear it.
Nargess (10-18-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #7
Nargess
Casting On

Hello again,

I knitted this model up until the patter says "Cont in the rnd, work as est over body sts for 3"/7.5cm."
And I think the established part is the one that adds one stitch before the cable pattern and one stitch after it, and since there are 2 cables on the sides (2 front's sides, 2 back's sides), the pattern adds 8 sts every other row. I don't if I should do the adding sts after I separated the sleeves because the pullover is a fit to the body pullover.
It would be great if you could please explain it to me. I could also write more of the pattern here if you need it.

Thank you!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

I want to make sure I understand where you are in the pattern. You've held out stitches now for the sleeves so that now you're knitting the body of the sweater below the armhole, is that right?

You won't be continueing the increasses in the body. From the picture it looks like you'll knit 3" even (no increases or decreases) and then start decreasing at the side panels for the waist shaping then increase again towards the hips.
Nargess (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Nargess
Casting On

I would look at the picture of the sweater (and the extra pictures, too). There may be one more round with increases after the sts are held for the sleeves but from there on, the body of the sweater seems straight until the side panel dec for the waist. I don't see holes near the cables in the body section. As you read the directions following the ones you quoted, if the next driections are the waist shaping, then leave out the increases so that you get the straight columns of sts under the sleeves. If the pattern gives stitch numbers at the end of sections, that may help too..

Last edited by salmonmac : 11-11-2013 at 10:01 AM.