Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I can see if you left your door open, but to have the bear open the door, that is freaky!
They have figured it out! Ours is the 4th car in the neighborhood to suffer such a fate, when somebody (DH says it was me, I say it was HIM) left it unlocked. After the bear exited our car, we watched him saunter over to our neighbor's pickup and just pull the door open. They have figured out how to use their claws. The problem only arises if the door slams shut behind them. In our case the bear somehow LOCKED the doors while clambering around inside; the first time I tried to open the door it was locked. Then when he kept hitting the horn I think it frightened him even worse.

When I took the car to the Lexus Dealer today (nothing like pulling up to the Lexus dealer with your disheveled, bear-clawed Toyota) they said they had fixed a Lexus that had had the same thing happen a few weeks ago.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
Omg! I just read your post. Freakin' unbelievable! Who'd ever think you'd have to lock your doors to keep a bear out? Totally sucks about your door panels. Replacing anything in a car is expensive these days.

I used to get a little scared about bears when we lived in Santa Fe. A couple of the doors had lever handles, yikes, I heard stories about those bears. If it's a tough year for them, they'll come down out of the mountains in search of food.
Nearby Incline Village, Nevada has had way worse trouble than us, for the past several years. Bears have broken into houses with people inside! But usually they break windows and yank doors off empty cabins.

Neighbor down the street had a bear break into his garage and drink a few six packs of beer that were in the outside fridge (plus a few Pepsi chasers), but nobody has had one in the house yet. I think we may be catching up, though, by the way things are going.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Scary. Very scary. I'm glad the damage was no worse than it was but please, if it happens again, let the bear destroy the car. You are much more important.
That's what the sheriff said. But...my new car! The bruin was defiling it! The bear was actually pretty small, maybe a yearling. DH says he weighed about 300 pounds, I didn't think he/she was that big. It did snap at me through the window, leaving its horrid bear breath fogging it up. But the way I yanked open the door, it put the door between me and bear, with another car blocking him. The only way he could run was the other way. Otherwise there's no way I would have let him out. And my speed toward the front door was matched only by the bear's in the other direction.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
I'm in agreement. Bears are EXTREMELY dangerous!
They have guns that shoot red pepper spray at them, but that would just make the bear madder, if you ask me. It wasn't a big bear, a big bear would have trouble getting into a little Toyota Highlander. Of course, I saw how sharp its claws were, from the shredded panels. At least he didn't rip the seats or poop or urinate. Still, I had to clean up dirty pawprints and bear drool.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
OMG! That's crazy!!
It's been really warm, so they aren't hibernating yet. They are looking to tank up with extra food. I didn't have any food in the car, no wrappers, no chapstick, gum, nothing. Just a crummy bottle of plain water, but I guess they will snoop in cars since they have learned there might be something inside.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,262 Times in 2,754 Posts
Quote:
It wasn't a big bear, a big bear
Sometimes it's Mama Bear that will get you. Let the dang bear have the car next time. Please.

We have bears that wander into populated areas around here but not as often as you seem to have it happen. We've encroached so much on all the wild areas, where else can they go? That and they've learned that there are goodies to be had all over the place.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,806 Times in 7,165 Posts
There are some bears in the hills toward LA. They tend to climb into hot tubs and swimming pools. In south Orange County all we've got coyotes and the occasional mountain lions.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #18
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
That's what the sheriff said. But...my new car! The bruin was defiling it! The bear was actually pretty small, maybe a yearling. DH says he weighed about 300 pounds, I didn't think he/she was that big. It did snap at me through the window, leaving its horrid bear breath fogging it up. But the way I yanked open the door, it put the door between me and bear, with another car blocking him. The only way he could run was the other way. Otherwise there's no way I would have let him out. And my speed toward the front door was matched only by the bear's in the other direction.
Yes, adrenaline is amazing stuff! Both of you were probably setting land-speed records, or at least Personal Bests! So glad you weren't hurt. Good thinking, to keep the door between you and the bear. Even a young one isn't good to mess with.

The bears at Yosemite have learned how to open cars. Overnight and week-long hikers often learn this the hard way. Evidently the bears use their claws like can openers around the edges of the doors or windows. Ye gods....
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Oh my! How awful, and at least you didn't get hurt!

On the cheeky side, do you also have lions and tigers to go with bears?

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

WOW - that totally trumps my bear creating ingress and egress through my fence to empty my bird feeders....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote