Old 11-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Sometimes it's Mama Bear that will get you. Let the dang bear have the car next time. Please.

We have bears that wander into populated areas around here but not as often as you seem to have it happen. We've encroached so much on all the wild areas, where else can they go? That and they've learned that there are goodies to be had all over the place.
I know, it was dumb, but the way the cars were positioned, there was only one way for him to go. And all I could think was: Get.Bear.Out.Of.Car. Hopefully there won't be a next time. And tonight, my poor car is safely in the garage.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (11-14-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by DogCatMom View Post
Yes, adrenaline is amazing stuff! Both of you were probably setting land-speed records, or at least Personal Bests! So glad you weren't hurt. Good thinking, to keep the door between you and the bear. Even a young one isn't good to mess with.

The bears at Yosemite have learned how to open cars. Overnight and week-long hikers often learn this the hard way. Evidently the bears use their claws like can openers around the edges of the doors or windows. Ye gods....
Yes, if my son's car hadn't been there blocking that side, no WAY would I have opened that door, but it sort of created a chute that turned him the other way. They are very handy with those claws. I guess he might have used them to also get OUT of the car the same way, but evidently he hit the lock button when he was clambering around, and so there was no way for him to succeed in that.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #23
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
WOW - that totally trumps my bear creating ingress and egress through my fence to empty my bird feeders....
Yeah! Hopefully your bear will stay content with bird feed. It's so warm here for this time of year, the bears aren't hibernating yet. I can't wait for snow!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #24
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Oh my! How awful, and at least you didn't get hurt!

On the cheeky side, do you also have lions and tigers to go with bears?
Oh, my!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #25
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
There are some bears in the hills toward LA. They tend to climb into hot tubs and swimming pools. In south Orange County all we've got coyotes and the occasional mountain lions.
Don't you guys have some poor little kid get snatched by a coyote from time to time?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
Don't you guys have some poor little kid get snatched by a coyote from time to time?
Actually we don't. DH said there's been a few cases of coyote bites, but I can't remember the last one. Unfortunately, we've seen the results of them on neighborhood cats though. :(

Even though the lions are less common, rare really, there have been a few severe injuries and deaths. I remember about 30 yrs ago a little girl got grabbed by the head and pulled into the bushes. She suffered severe brain damage. And about 5-10 yrs ago a lion pulled a few guys off bicycles and um...ate them.

BTW..the lions are out in hills and wilderness parks, the coyotes come up from a local creek into the neighborhoods. A year ago or so a coyote got in a neighbor's yard and tried to drag her small dog over the wall. He was just a bit too heavy so he dropped the dog and ran. Needless to say we don't let our little dog alone in our yard. Sad because she loves the yard.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Oh my!! I'm glad you are OK. Here in MI we had a black bear attack a young girl(early teens) while she was running from her house to her grandparents. The girl got away once then the bear caught up with her and attacked again. Luckily for the girl a neighbor heard her screaming and scared it off the second time. The girl is OK though she had a lot of bruises, cuts etc.
We have black bear, wolves, cougar and coyotes here in Michigan. They usually aren't seen much but they have had a problem in the Upper Pennisula with wolves attacking livestock.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #28
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

We have had a few mountain lion attacks, not right here in Truckee but lower in the foothills. A few years back a mountain lion attacked and killed a lady out jogging. And where we used to live, the kids would get kept in the inner school yard because there were so many mountain lions around.

Our dogs are big, but we keep our cats inside. Luckily there's an upstairs deck they can go out on.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
Oh my!! I'm glad you are OK. Here in MI we had a black bear attack a young girl(early teens) while she was running from her house to her grandparents. The girl got away once then the bear caught up with her and attacked again. Luckily for the girl a neighbor heard her screaming and scared it off the second time. The girl is OK though she had a lot of bruises, cuts etc.
We have black bear, wolves, cougar and coyotes here in Michigan. They usually aren't seen much but they have had a problem in the Upper Pennisula with wolves attacking livestock.
Wow! Glad she was OK, probably never wants to go outside again! We have all the same critters in Truckee (Sierra Nevada Mountain range) except I don't think we have wolves. We did have a wolverine spotting last winter!

The worst thing is raccoons! I ran out in my nightie one night when I heard something in the garbage. I thought it was the neighbor's dog, but a big raccoon was there, standing on its hind legs and clutching a pizza box. It had the audacity to snarl at me over the top of the box!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #30
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
I tried to reply to this last night but the Kindle and or the internet was acting up and it wouldn't let me.

No thank you!! We have occasional bear sightings here but they tend to stay way out in the woods. One year we lived in a valley and there was a mama and cubs on the hill behind our house and a large male across the road and creek and up the next hill. The kids were just little then, I didn't let them outside alone. Jeff has seen a large black cat one more than one occasion but officially there is nothing larger than a bobcat here. Ha. I'm really glad you're ok, and the damage wasn't worse.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is online now   Reply With Quote