Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
frecklyface
Casting On

Magic loop help needed!
I am a new knitter and the idea of dpn's was too daunting so I tried the magic loop and it has been great so far. I am just so new that I am not sure how to work out this issue and I have not been able to find any answers online. I am following a pattern for a cute baby hat worked in broken rib stitch and the "right" side is being worked on the inside. The pattern now calls for turning the hat inside out so the right side is on the outside to finish it (with a new yarn color). I turned it inside out but now when I am in "ready position" my yarn is hanging down from the bottom needle and not the top one as it had been. I am stumped. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I tried to just continue knitting with it on the inside but then the crown decrease was all purls and you could see the dots of the color change which looked bad. Thanks....
frecklyface is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I use Magic Loop all the time, and it was in reaction to a hat pattern which called for THREE sets of needles. Only two months after learning to knit, the idea of THREE sets of needles for just a hat seemed overwhelming as well as...ah...stupid.

I actually learned ML from Sarah Hauschka's booklet! The booklet will stay still, unlike online videos. I mean, they do stay still, but you've got to let go of the yarn/needles to make them start/stop....

I'm having trouble envisioning the directions for the baby hat. Is there a link to the pattern (i.e., is it available somewhere online)?

thx
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
frecklyface
Casting On

thanks
thanks for your offer of help. I bought the pattern online so don't know how to show it or send you to it. My main issue is just figuring out if it is possible to turn something inside out in the middle of the project and continue working on it when the yarn is now on the "other" needle. The yarn in the "ready" position is on the opposite needle now. So, I can pull the needle out and start knitting the same way I had been.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,348 Times in 3,032 Posts
Welcome to KnittingHelp!
When you are knitting on the inside, the hat pointed away from you. If you working yarn is coming off the top needle, then the needle tips are pointing left. Turn the hat inside out by pushing the cast on edge through so that the body of the hat is facing you. and now turn the needle tips so that they're facing to the right. Pull the needle with the working yarn through and continue knitting. Don't work back on the sts just knit because that will create a hole.

I'm not sure that I understand the reason for doing this but it may be clearer to you as you look at the pattern. Besides changing color, what else is happening on the next round? Can you tell us the name of the hat?
justplaincharlotte (11-14-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
frecklyface
Casting On

Thanks for the input! The hat is called Knubby Baby Girl Hat with Flowers by Sweet Baby Dolly (Jami Klehr) I think I have it figured out - I am just going to keep the hat inside out (with the right side inside) and work Magic Loop backwards so when I change colors and decrease the work is knit to the end.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,348 Times in 3,032 Posts
OK, if that works, great! Let us know how it comes out and post a picture if you'd like. We'd love to see it.
The pattern photo looks adorable.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...t-with-flowers