Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
ZoeS
1st Leg of the Journey

How much yarn from 1 lbs of fiber?
How much raw fiber do you guys get for x amount of yarn? I know there's a lot of variables but I'm just looking for a rough idea.

Like let's say you wanted to make a normal hat and scarf. Nothing huge and oversized, but not tiny "leftovers projects", either. And would that change if you were going to make worsted vs bulky vs thick-and-thin? Would 1lbs of fiber be enough - more than enough, cutting it close, too much, etc? My aunt (who is very green / local / eco-conscious) asked me to make her a hat and scarf, and I'm just looking for an idea of how much to order so I don't get stuck with a scarf and 3/4 of a hat or something.
ZoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZoeS For This Useful Post:
baleeyjunior4981 (11-29-2013), CoabEmarima (12-03-2013), Kykysham (12-06-2013), puddyrosy (12-08-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Are you yourself spinning the fiber? If so, here's one method, but you need to have a sensitive scale (kitchen scale, grams) to make it work.

Pull off a small amount of fiber (maybe 10 grams) and spin it. Double it back on itself for a two-ply yarn and wind it on a niddy-noddy of known length.

You now know how many yards of two-ply yarn you can spin from 10 grams of fiber.

There are approx. 450 grams in 1 lb, but weigh the fiber on the gram kitchen scale to check what you have. Multiply the number of yards you spun (span?) out of 10 g as a proportion to learn the number of yards you could expect to spin out of 450 g. (Hmm. Looks to me like 45 times as many yards!)

Do the patterns for the scarf and hat list yardage?

And: is the gauge shown for the scarf and hat similar to that you can get with the two-ply yarn?

If not, adjustments will need to be made, either towards a three-ply yarn (and a Lazy Kate for spinning three plies down into one yarn) or maybe different patterns for scarf/hat. Or...the usual sort of thing with needle sizes.
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote