Newbie Knitter- Reading a pattern
I recently discovered knitting, and I want to knit a girl a scarf for xmas, but I literally have no idea what this pattern means.
1. Co 8 sts using long-tail cast on method.
3. (RS): *k2, p1, YO, k2tog, p1; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.
4. CO 6 sts, p2, *k1, p2; rep from *.
5. CO 6 sts, *k2, p1, k2tog, YO, p1; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.
6. p2, *k1, p2; rep from *.
7. Repeat rows 3 – 6 until you have 188 sts.
8. Bind off as K2, P1.
Here's what I understand:
Start row one- this will be casting on 8 stitches
Row two- knit all 8 of these stitches
row three- k2, p1, YO, k2tog, p1....
Then I get confused on this part. How many times do I repeat this? Do I complete it once and then once again, and end it with knit 2? Do I knit the pattern repetitively until I only have two more stitches remaining on the loop, then knit the last two that remain?
Row 4 - Cast on 6, p2, k1 p2 till I run out of stitches
row 5- cast on 6, get confused again (same as 3)
row 6 - understood
row 7 - just keep knitting, just keep knitting...
row 8 - Understood