Old 11-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Fish Lips Kiss Heel
Hi! Has anybody used this heel method? It costs one whole dollar, and everybody is raving about it. I bought it, and I'm trying to get going on it, it seems easy, but since I have only knit one pair of socks with a heel flap and gusset, I'm finding it sort of hard to set this up. I'm assuming that if I have 64 stitches on the needle, I'm going to use 32 for the heel, right? Do I knit in 16 stitches and use the next 32? I think that's right but this is supposed to be a method that is easy, no stitches to pick up. It uses a twin stitch knit and purl and it's supposed to be easy and fit really well. Any input appreciated.
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/sox-t...03/601-625#608
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
First off what is a "twin stitch knit and purl"?

Typically for a short row heel instructions are to work on half the total number of stitches so 32 of 64 stitches sounds right. Looking at the picture in your link I think it looks like it could easily be too tight (I noticed someone said it was) and without the instructions it's really hard to say what you should do. I don't know where the 16 stitches you're asking about knitting in are in relation to the heel stitches. Are you using dpn or circs?

After you've done these, check out this way of doing socks. I find them to be very easy. If you can increase, decrease, and know what short rows are you already know everything you need. Toe-Up Heel-Flap Socks for Magic Loop On these I could offer help.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

OK, I found this. Short Rows: Shadow Wraps Is this what you're doing? It's similar to the short row method I've been using of late, but I knit or purl in the stitch below and place it on the left needle. I can't tell for sure if what they're describing is the same or not, I wish I could.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Here's a youtube link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_p5QE614Y
Old 11-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

So, see how she winds up with a stitch that has 2 loops in it? That becomes a marker, and so you don't have to count stitches. She has the same thing for the purl side. Everybody who uses this claims they will never have to use a pattern again for knitting a heel. And first you make a cardboard template of your foot, use math to figure out where your heel hinge point should be. Knit SS for an inch before using her twin stitches method for the heel, and the heel will fit like a charm every time. No stitches to pick up, just simple short rows. I really want to try it, but the whole sock thing isn't set enough in my noggin to get it set up. I think she assumes that you already know how to knit a sock? Anyway, you might check it out for only a dollar....she seems to have quite a following!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanks. I actually found that video and this link http://www.notjustaboutknitting.com/...kiss-heel.html so now I know you're doing a short row heel and it seems the main difference is that you're doing the twin stitch or shadow wraps, which seems to be more or less a lifted increase placed on the needle, not the same but similar to the kb or pb that I've been using. I think mine looks about the same as using that method and for me it's easier.

Anyhow, now I have an idea what you're doing, tell me about the 16 stitches that you mentioned before, please, and I'll see if I can make any sense of it. If someone else already understands and responds, that would be great!

ETA As I've never made a top-down sock I have never had to pick up stitches around a heel flap.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Thanks, GG! So I knit from the cuff down, with 64 stitches on a teeny 9 inch circular. According to the Sox Therapist, the reason store bought socks fit so well is because they use something like this method, and the reason I am interested is because I have a super high arch and a lot of socks get dragged down into my shoes. So, this evidently is solved by knitting an inch of SS before starting the short wraps.
So, I have done the inch of stockinette, and now I am sort of stuck as to what to do from there. Do I knit in 16 stitches and do the short wraps on the next 32 stitches?

I have other projects to do, so I can wait until the Sox Therapist replies, but I was just wondering how to proceed.

I know you have mentioned your sock method, too, so I'll also check it out. Now that I am making 10 bajillion stitches with size 1 needles, I want to make sure the buggers fit!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

So I looked at your link (thanks) and I like Liat Gat, so I will save it. I just have this one dumb sock that I started cuff down. I did also buy a book Toe Up Socks Two at a Time, which would solve the dreaded SSS. Evidently the Sox Therapist does most of her socks toe up as well, so I guess I'll try that trend!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Here's the Ravelry link to the FLK heel:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...lips-kiss-heel
Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
Thanks, GG! So I knit from the cuff down, with 64 stitches on a teeny 9 inch circular. According to the Sox Therapist, the reason store bought socks fit so well is because they use something like this method, and the reason I am interested is because I have a super high arch and a lot of socks get dragged down into my shoes. So, this evidently is solved by knitting an inch of SS before starting the short wraps.
So, I have done the inch of stockinette, and now I am sort of stuck as to what to do from there. Do I knit in 16 stitches and do the short wraps on the next 32 stitches?

I have other projects to do, so I can wait until the Sox Therapist replies, but I was just wondering how to proceed.

I know you have mentioned your sock method, too, so I'll also check it out. Now that I am making 10 bajillion stitches with size 1 needles, I want to make sure the buggers fit!
I think I might understand about the 16 stitches now. Typically a heel is worked on half the stitches, as I have never used a short circ, that went right over my head! I have the stitches divided in half already.

Knit half of the total stitches, then the 2nd half will be your heel stitches or work the first half as heel stitches and make the second half the instep. Your choice. I don't get the part about an inch of SS before the short rows. Are you working it all the way around? on part of the stitches? to make a gusset using increases? I won't pay for the pattern because I don't need it but I am very, very curious.

I can't find store bought socks that fit me well. I have 10" long fairly narrow feet and a AAAA heel. It seems to me that the *secret* to not feeding your sock tops to your shoes is a well-fitted foot which includes the heel being knit to fit your instep and the correct length and diameter. I prefer my socks a bit snug but even hand made looser ones don't feed my shoes. I intend to wear only hand knitted socks because once you find what works for you, nothing else can compare. Right now I'm using sz. 0 needles with sport weight yarn to rib the cuffs of the socks I'm finishing. I'll bind off, weave in two ends on each sock and give them to my SIL. Next time I think I'll decrease stitches rather than go down from sz. 2 needles. I really like the look and feel of ribbing on smaller needles though. I say I won't do it again but that's probably what I'll do next time, go down to sz. 0. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.