Old 12-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
SleepingCetra
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Skype™ to SleepingCetra
I want to buy a "nice" yarn!
Hello!

So, I am going to start something that is not a washcloth tomorrow. I am thinking a scarf, possibly an Infinity scarf, but I want to buy a yarn that I know I am going to want to wear when I am done. I like really soft things, and I like the look of bulky, thick yarn as well. I don't like frilly, or the kind that is curly, or the kind with bits of squiggly string hanging off, just regular looking yarn. Fat yarn. Soft, fat yarn!

I have been reading some yarn reviews (shouldn't I be out clubbing and drinking at 25? Hahaha!) and I have been reading about angora, and yaks, and mink, and POSSUMS. I had no idea you could make yarn from possums, but there it is. Do I need to go the route of animal products to get that silky softness?

I want something reeeeeaaally soft.

However, my fiance will kill me if I go out and buy a skein of yarn that costs $25.

I am going to the knitting store in Lethbridge so I am going to get to browse more variety than Walmart offers, but I figured I would ask here.

Also, how much should I buy for a really long scarf? Would one roll be enough? Come to think of it, is a skein and a hank the same amount? Now I have to go back to Google. :P
SleepingCetra is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,255 Times in 2,747 Posts
As for what yarn you should buy, the LYS should be able to give you some good advice. I've learned to really like wool but there are some good synthetics also. As for how much, that depends on your scarf. Maybe you should take a look at www.ravelry.com and do some looking around. There are scads of free scarf patterns there and you can get a better idea of how much yarn you need and what you might like to do once you have it. Pick a pattern and get the yarn amount it recommends plus an extra ball or hank or even two. You might decide you must have a hat to match.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
SleepingCetra
Ribbing the Cuff

I am going to carry a hank of wool around the store if they will let me, just to hold against my skin. When I was a kid I remember my mother getting a wool sweater for me and it was like wearing fire, I hated it. I am pretty sure it was 100% wool however, so it might not be like that when it is blended.

I have not even practiced weaving a new skein/hank into a piece that has run out of wool yet, I am nervous. I bet it is tricky. If possible I am just going to buy a really, really big ball so that I can knit from a single source. :P
Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,503 Times in 3,178 Posts
The LYS is a very good idea because you can feel the yarn to your heart's content and they'll be delighted to let you. There are all kinds of wool, some scratchy but many 100% wools that are wonderfully soft and smooth. I just finished a throw in Cascade 220 Superwash Chunky and love the soft feel.
Skeins, balls and hanks come in different lengths but usually the yds/m are given on the label. Don't worry about joining a new ball of yarn, there are many ways to do that shown here (about halfway down the pager) and by searching Google.
Have fun at the yarn store!
justplaincharlotte (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
Sadly, I've tried many types of wool and find even expensive and blended ones at least somewhat itchy. They feel soft to me in the hank, but once knitted...not so much. The least scratchy ones are the ones that are smoother with less guard hairs.

And don't worry about starting a new skein. Just start knitting and weave in ends later. Nothing tricky about it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

The LYS is a great suggestion. There are many, many yarns to choose from! In addition to GGs great suggestion, my only suggestion is that you consider the care instructions before you buy - which is why I go for machine washable. If you want easy care and are looking at wool blends, look for the term Superwash.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
SleepingCetra
Ribbing the Cuff

What is The Lys? A brand? The only stores I know of here are Knitting Time and Michael's.

Has anyone ever bought from Michael's? It was a bit expensive for painting supplies.

I have been looking at some of the delicate Japanse stuff, like Haiku. Yeesh. I'd love to do some lace knitting, but it looks hard!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,255 Times in 2,747 Posts
LYS = Local Yarn Shop. I don't have one that's really "local" myself. Thanks to justplaincharlotte I've come to think of them as petting zoos. LOL Anyhow, you can get yarn at stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. If you look online you might find good coupons for 40% off one item, or even more. I've been known to go through the checkout more than once to use more than one coupon. JoAnn Fabric sometimes will ring up multiple items in separate transactions to allow me to use multiple coupons. Taking a friend along to go through with a coupon helps too.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
SleepingCetra
Ribbing the Cuff

Do you think Michaels would be just as good as LYS? Just as much selection with quality brands?

I also need to pick up some cabled needles for bigger projects. My scarf is going to be pretty wide, so I need that or I need some very long needles.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by SleepingCetra View Post
Do you think Michaels would be just as good as LYS? Just as much selection with quality brands?
A really good yarn shop has many more kinds of yarn than a Michaels. There are a lot of online vendors that have good stuff, too.

I can't use wool (drat! my husband offered to get me a wheel for Christmas and I can't spin without a dust mask and gloves!) so I've gotten used to looking for other fun stuff. Right now I have a bunch of Cotton Silk, which is just what it sounds like. There are also a lot of acrylic yarns that are really soft. I wouldn't use anything really fuzzy until you've been practicing for a while, because it can drive you nuts if you have to frog any of it.