Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
nonny2t
Instepping Out

It looks great and I love the color. When I have something boring to knit, I make sure I have a second project and switch them back and forth. I just finished a scarf and I am knitting a sleeveless sweater for myself for our 2014 cruise so I would force myself to knit 2 16 row patterns before I could switch to my sweater and actually got it finished fairly quickly.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (01-01-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
We stayed at Oyster Bay Resort and visited various places north and south. My friend lives in Nanaimo, too.

Oh no kidding, in Nanaimo? I haven't been able to find one friend here who's a knitter! There is a lys though, so I did know I can't be the only one, LOL.

Haven't been to Oyster Bay but it's probably pretty nice there. Dh & I are determined to get to the west coast this year - been here 8 yrs and still haven't made it - want to go while it's still "storm season". Talk about a place for photography - I've got some fabulous photos my son and dil took there.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by nonny2t View Post
It looks great and I love the color. When I have something boring to knit, I make sure I have a second project and switch them back and forth. I just finished a scarf and I am knitting a sleeveless sweater for myself for our 2014 cruise so I would force myself to knit 2 16 row patterns before I could switch to my sweater and actually got it finished fairly quickly.
HA! A strategist! Nice plan! Good to learn self-discipline

Yes, I always have 2 projects going. This was my "car project" - it lives in one of those reusable grocery bags in the back seat and has to be something I don't care too much about cause it doesn't get the best of care at all times, and it has to be simple. I pick up my 2 gdaughters after school 1 day a week each, and it's fun to go early and choose my parking spot before all the parents roar in - so I get to snag about half an hour or more knitting time for myself - sneaky - or maybe I could call it "strategy"
Old 01-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Great job! Cheery color, too! But I know what you mean about the boredom. My first project was a scarf that seemed to go on forever!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by tabsheltie7 View Post
Beautiful scarf, I love the stitch pattern. As for the long tail cast on on the other pattern, I recommended it because of it's elasticity and it goes very well with the scarf. LTCO is my favorite and unless a pattern calls for something else, I usualy use it. I find the knit cast on to be too stiff for my taste. But if it's your preference, then by all means, go for it!
OMG I love "SABLE"!
I'm going to increase my tension a bit - the knit co is sure not stiff when I do it. iow, my knitting is a little on the sloppy side. And I'm going to try your ltco anyway, because I know it's so popular.

I'm going to do that scarf and (try to) put a cable after the keyhole. My plan is to make it a little longer, and wear it to the side rather than the front, and it'd be worn under my jacket. That way the keyhole would hold it in place, and the cable would show but the keyhole and ends won't.

That's the theory, anyway - we shall see
Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #16
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
Great job! Cheery color, too! But I know what you mean about the boredom. My first project was a scarf that seemed to go on forever!

LOL, I think this darn thing spent 2 years in my car
Old 01-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
tabsheltie7
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by IslandTime View Post
OMG I love "SABLE"!
I'm going to increase my tension a bit - the knit co is sure not stiff when I do it. iow, my knitting is a little on the sloppy side. And I'm going to try your ltco anyway, because I know it's so popular.

I'm going to do that scarf and (try to) put a cable after the keyhole. My plan is to make it a little longer, and wear it to the side rather than the front, and it'd be worn under my jacket. That way the keyhole would hold it in place, and the cable would show but the keyhole and ends won't.

That's the theory, anyway - we shall see
Sounds like a good plan. Maybe you could consider making the hole a bit closer to the bottom?

BTW, all my shelties are sable and white, so when I saw the SABLE quote I just had to use it in my sig.

tabsheltie7 on Ravelry

"Did you hear of the pregnant cat who ate a ball of yarn? She had mittens!"
"Went to my doctor, he told me I needed more fiber. So I stopped at the yarn store on my way home."
“SABLE- A common knitting acronym that stands for Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.”
tabsheltie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tabsheltie7 For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Very pretty. What yarn did you use?

That's an old Merit Phentex yarn I've had for years. And years. Back when I thought I'd crochet a striped afghan from it - so I bought quite a few colours. I did one afghan in a baby yarn when my gdaughter was expected 15 years ago - it was my first attempt at crochet - lol if it hadn't been for dh's aunt, I'd still be working on it.

No idea why I bought more yarn and planned a 2nd afghan - by then I knew I hated crocheting - maybe I just hadn't admitted it to myself at that point.

I don't know if you get that yarn anywhere else, I just noticed it's made in Canada. It's quite similar to Beehive's Astra, but not as soft. My mil used it to make slippers. Easy to work with, so it's a good yarn for practising anything with, but not a really nice yarn imho. "Serviceable" - that's the word. ok for a scarf, and I'm trying to use it up whenever I can see an opportunity - it really defines stitch patterns well, so is good for trying those out.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by tabsheltie7 View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Maybe you could consider making the hole a bit closer to the bottom?

BTW, all my shelties are sable and white, so when I saw the SABLE quote I just had to use it in my sig.

Mine was a sable, too. He looked like the one on the far right, except his ears stood straight up like the rest of yours do Good thought about adjusting the slot…Thanks!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #20
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
The scarf is elegant: beautiful color and pattern stitch. It'll keep you warm and look wonderful at the same time.

Scarves can be a bit tedious, can't they? I think you need a rich interior life to knit one.

(I'm not sure what's causing the slight bow at the cast on. It won't even be noticeable when worn. The only thing I can think might help is to cast on 1-2 fewer sts and increase on the first row or cast on with a smaller size needle and immediately change to the working size.)

- "a rich interior life" - good one - I must work on that