Old 12-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Wassler
Casting On

ideas for a nice scarf
Hi,

I recently took up knitting again after many years of not knitting at all. I'm getting familiar with the basics again (setting up, basic stitches (recht & averecht in dutch) and ending the workpiece. But that's about as far as my knowledge and skills go.

To have some fun besides learning technique I'm looking for some nice ideas for a nice scarf. I got my hands om sover very nice 100% merino yarn as in the below picture:

I belive it could make for a very nice scarf. I guess because of the kniots in the yarn it should do fine with a very simple stich as the yarn can do the work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Happy knitting.

Wouter.
Wassler is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Welcom back to knitting!
Beautiful yarn in a gorgeous color.
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/zitron-blick-fang
According to Ravelry (free to join), it's an aran weight. A search for gender neutral patterns filtered for one hank (175yds) of the yarn came up with several pages of patterns.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sear...=best&pc=scarf
You could further taylor the search. Looks like lots to choose from.
Wassler (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Wassler
Casting On

Thanks,

Will check out Ravelry as soon as I get home tonight. Can't register at work.

Wouter.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Click here to view a really nice project (at Raverly) that was knit with Blick Fang. She used a US10/6.0mm needle, and 1 hank of the yarn. I've read that the little knots in the yarn take some getting used to, but the larger the needle, the easier it is to pull the little bump through the stitch.

You are right about the yarn. It isn't going to allow fancy knit stitches to show off, so I'd recommend a stocking stitch, or a garter stitch. I'd prefer the garter stitch because the scarf won't roll into a tube when you are wearing it.

I really like the color of your Blick Fang!

At Ravelry, I typed the yarn (Blick Fang) into the yarn search bar. Then when I got to the yarn, I clicked Projects for the yarn. Then when I got to the Projects, I typed "scarf" into its search bar. That's how I found several projects that used Blick Fang for a scarf and could read what those knitters had to say about it, and see what needle sizes they successfully used.

Keep us posted on your progress! I'm dying to see how your beautiful red colorway works out!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 01-02-2014 at 08:32 AM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Ravelry (as well as this site) is a wealth of information and ideas. Your yarn is lovely!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Wassler
Casting On

Artlady,

that really looks like a nice project.. i guess I'll do a little tryout to get familiar again with the used techniques and then go for it.. Guess it will make a nice gift for a girl friend. I have three skeins of the yarn.; so maybe I may try to go for a matching hat afterwards :-) but lets start with this project first...

thanks for the input..
Old 01-02-2014, 02:52 AM   #7
Wassler
Casting On

Hi,

Happy newyear everyone!!!!

I studies the pattern a bit and it appears like on needs circular needles for this. I don't think it's possible to knit that many knits on regular needles. Are there any things to look out for in selecting good curcular needles? I'd prefer to buy good ones from the start.. Maybe expensive this time but cheaper in the long run. I tend to say "Buy the best, only cry once"

Wouter.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Good motto!
One of the most important things is a flexible cable. The needles themselves and the sharpness of the needle tips are a matter of personal preference. I like the Addi Turbos myself but there are many other choices.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I agree with salmonac. The Addi circulars are my favorite "high quality" choice.

She's right, there are a lot of high quality choices, but I'd recommend Addi for two main reasons: 1) quality 2) reasonable price.

When I say "reasonable price", I mean "relatively". They're much spendier than cheap needles, but they're reasonable compared to, let's say Signature Arts needles which I also own.

Addi is the needle I use the most. I have both regular tips, and the pointy "lace" tips.

However, today I'm using my US 5/3.75mm stiletto tips Signature Arts circular, and they're making my work on a Gridwork lace scarf a breeze!

If you have the budget available, and the inclination to own the best of the best, having Addis and Signature Arts circulars is a real treat.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I also have both Addis in lace and turbo and they are my usual go to needles for projects. I also like Hiya Hiya needless which are similar to Addis.
That said they are also very slippery. I'm not sure if there are "soft" cabled bamboo circulars around as all my circs are metal but if available they are much less slippery when starting back to knitting than either of the above.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote