Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
silent9426
Casting On

How to price a hat?
I've made lace hats for several friends of mine and now someone wants me to make one for a friend of a friend. Well I'm not going to make one for free for someone I don't know but I'm not sure how to price it. So how would you price your knitting? Would $10 be good for a lace hat?
silent9426 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Do you work for $1 an hour? I don't know what the buyer will be willing to pay, but $10 is giving it away. . . Ask what they're willing to pay?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
tabsheltie7
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree with Ingrid. You don't want to over charge her, but $10 is a steal! Think about how long it takes to make it and how much the yarn costs.

tabsheltie7 on Ravelry

"Did you hear of the pregnant cat who ate a ball of yarn? She had mittens!"
"Went to my doctor, he told me I needed more fiber. So I stopped at the yarn store on my way home."
“SABLE- A common knitting acronym that stands for Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.”
tabsheltie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
I've thought about this but never came up with what I thought was a price someone would pay and I felt like I'd made anything. What I have considered is for a few people such as good friends of my daughter's is to have them buy enough yarn for multiple items and I'd make one for them and keep the rest of the yarn. How much does the yarn for one of your hats run you?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Because you can buy cheap machine knit hats in stores like Walmart and Target most people won't want to pay what it's actually worth for a hand knit. Figure out how much time you put into it and factor in the yarn cost and come up with a price. Lace takes a long time so it'll probably be a lot!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
A woman at work "hired" me to knit a hat for her friend before winter break. She asked me how much money I wanted and I told her I'd think about it. The hat took me two evenings, and I used yarn that I've had sitting around for years.

When we go back to school on Monday, I'll give her the hat and let her pay me what she thinks it's worth. I'll let you know what she came up with. (I initially told her $1000, but she didn't believe me!)

If it was for her, I'd give it to her, but she was specific about wanting to pay me, and any money in my pocket will be more than what was there before.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
silent9426
Casting On

Thanks for the input ya'll!
Honestly I wouldn't want to pay a whole lot of money if it were me buying, and I just hate to make others pay more than I would want to pay. But I realize that It is worth more and there are people who will pay.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
claireweber
Working the Gusset

The woman that gave me my first and only knitting lesson owned and ran a knitting store. I recall a hat in the range of $59 - $69. I think it may have been wool yarn, a nice yarn, I'm certain. She only had nice yarns in her store.

What pattern have you used for the hats, and what yarn did you use to knit them?

I sold beaded jewelry for a good number of years, you can get good money for hand made items. What you would pay for a hand knitted item shouldn't be part of the equation, it's how much others are willing to pay.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
silent9426
Casting On

It's just a pattern I made up myself using a really simple lace pattern. I'm using cotton yarn. It knits up pretty fast. (That is, if 4 hours is fast. I do not claim to be a fast knitter.)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Well, as long as you do t do it all the time I think the cost of he yarn and a little bit for your time would be okay since you already said yes. Besides you're enjoying the knitting I assume.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote