Old 12-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Caz
Casting On

First attempt
Hi everyone,

So I have decided to learn to crochet and wanted to try making doilies. I bought a large (5mm) hook and some worsted weight thread to practice with, and did a few rows of each type of stitch until I was fairly comfortable with it.

I bought a hook set online, but I also have a 3mm and 3.5mm hook already, so while I'm waiting for my hooks in the post, I went out and bought some thread that I could practice with using the 3mm hook, and also got some #20 cotton that I plan on using when the hooks arrive.

I found a particular design I want to try, but I thought while I'm practicing I will use another design that I like, found here:

http://crochetartblog.blogspot.com.a...th-schema.html

Here is my attempt:

I only did the inner circle because I realised it was going to be ridiculously big with the thread and hook size I used. As it is, it's about a foot in diameter. My stitches became a lot neater and more consistent towards the end, and I'm happy that I did this practice one before I embark on a finer one. I also realised too late that I messed up a part when I completely skipped a 'point', which makes the whole thing a bit lopsided. I was so focused on getting the stitches themselves right that it was a case of not seeing the wood for the trees But, it still turned out pretty good IMHO, and I look forward to my next one. Though I'm not sure if the #20 cotton is going to be fine enough after seeing how 'chunky' this thread turned out.

I've learnt a lot from doing this, but there's a lot more to learn, and I would certainly appreciate any advice or constructive criticism
Cheers
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caz For This Useful Post:
TEMA (06-28-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
I think that looks good! What thread/yarn did you use? I'll have to look up mm sizes, I think of crochet hooks in letter sizes. I never crocheted with thread myself, only yarn, mostly in worsted weight.

I made 7/8 of an afghan once. It was a pineapple motif and started with crocheting the points that went across one end, they were joined together when the main body of the afghan was started. I got the count wrong and didn't realize I was supposed to do a total of 8, not 7, until after the crocheted border was added. I'd been crocheting a while already. I felt really not so brilliant. Don't feel too bad about missing something, you can strive for closer to perfection with each project.

ETA: Your tension already looks consistent. The only tip I can think of is to figure out a way to keep track of where you are in your pattern and if you have to rip something back count it as a learning experience. That's what try to do with my knitting.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Caz
Casting On

Hi GrumpyGramma,

The thread is Milford Soft 3-ply (4-ply equivalent) in soft lavender.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement
Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
catlvr
1st Leg of the Journey

I think it looks great for your first try! When I first started, I had a devil of a time with starting a round, but you seemed to get the hang of it right away. You go girl!!
catlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
It's beautifully done. By the time your set of hooks arrives, you'll be a pro. Gorgeous color too.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Caz
Casting On

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by catlvr View Post
I think it looks great for your first try! When I first started, I had a devil of a time with starting a round, but you seemed to get the hang of it right away. You go girl!!
The diagrams were pretty intimidating at first. I actually wasn't sure I'd be able to follow it, but I started at the start and figured I'd ask for help when I got stuck, but once I got going with it, I realised it's actually not that hard to follow.

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
It's beautifully done. By the time your set of hooks arrives, you'll be a pro. Gorgeous color too.
Well, my hooks arrived and I've already made a good start on my 2nd doily (3rd if you count a failed attempt in between. I'm blaming the thread that I used on that one ). Don't know if I'm a pro yet, but the current one is turning out a bit nicer than the first one.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
It looks terrific! I'm actually jealous. I'm a knitter trying to learn to crochet, and my first attempts have not looked that good!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
AngelAnya
Ribbing the Cuff

wow it looks amazing! actually, more than amazing! :D i have been trying to crochet my mom is teaching me, so far i think i'm improving (yay) ^^ but nothing of mine looks THAT good!
PS; all my tries have been of scarves Barbie doll size.
Caz (01-02-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
AngelAnya
Ribbing the Cuff

hey!
Originally Posted by catlvr View Post
it seems we both are on the same track! my scarves (Barbie doll size) still look a bit "squashed together" and "crooked"
Old 01-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
It may help to block the scarves so that Barbie can look stylish wearing them. Pin the scarf out to size to a surface (a towel will usually work), spray with water and let dry completely. This works wonderfully well with wool.
AngelAnya (01-02-2014)