Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
tabsheltie7
1st Leg of the Journey

WIP: Sheltie Afghan
To those of you who don't remember from a previous thread of mine, I'm making a fair isle afghan that when finished will fit a king/queen sized bed. I've been working on it off and on for over a year. All the info on it is here. I don't know if I like the way it's coming out though. The stitches are uneven because of the fair isle. I'm thinking of frogging it and starting over with intarsia. It'll hurt, but I'm thinking its for the best. I'd also use less yarn (I'm carrying yarn all through the blanket so it has the same thickness). Also, if it's intarsia I may not have to back it like I was planing to do before. It also won't take as long to knit. What do you think I should do?

tabsheltie7 on Ravelry

"Did you hear of the pregnant cat who ate a ball of yarn? She had mittens!"
"Went to my doctor, he told me I needed more fiber. So I stopped at the yarn store on my way home."
“SABLE- A common knitting acronym that stands for Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.”
tabsheltie7 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
tabsheltie7
1st Leg of the Journey

I just realized another downside to starting over. I'll have to redo the pattern (not the dogs but the blanket as a whole). The intarsia blocks will be bigger than the fair isle, and the way it's going, when it's finished it'll be too big anyway. So I'll definitely have to use less blocks. But I can also resize them from rectangles to squares like I'd originally planed. So there are many pro's and con's to go through.

tabsheltie7 on Ravelry

"Went to my doctor, he told me I needed more fiber. So I stopped at the yarn store on my way home."
“SABLE- A common knitting acronym that stands for Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.”
Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think the pictures look great!

If you work intarsia, you will have to do something on the back, too, since it never looks very neat. There will be a lot of ends to weave in, too.

It seems a shame to redo everything that you've done so far--but you would save a lot of yarn doing intarsia vs. stranded.

Maybe blocking will even out the parts you're not happy with?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
tabsheltie7 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
tabsheltie7
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I think the pictures look great!

If you work intarsia, you will have to do something on the back, too, since it never looks very neat. There will be a lot of ends to weave in, too.

It seems a shame to redo everything that you've done so far--but you would save a lot of yarn doing intarsia vs. stranded.

Maybe blocking will even out the parts you're not happy with?
The one I'm most unhappy with is the double merle (all white) sheltie. I don't like the stitches at all, it looks sloppy. Plus the dog's shape is different from the others (the dog itself is bigger and the chest is broader) even though I looked at every stitch over and over and couldn't figure out what I did differently. Maybe I'll do one dog and see how I like it. If it's better I may redo it, if not I'll keep going. I've done 16 out of 100 blocks, so I haven't gone TOO far.

tabsheltie7 on Ravelry

Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Maybe the white is an optical illusion?

Definitely try an intarsia dog--see if it makes enough of a difference for you to start over.

The bottom line is that if you are putting in that much effort, you have to be happy with the end result. 100 squares of "good enough" probably won't be good enough.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
tabsheltie7 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
I'm a colorwork idiot so I can't help there. If you do start over, keep the squares you've made, they're really nice IMO and would be great for a pillow or something. You could consider them on-the-project training and still have something to show for your time and effort.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-03-2014), tabsheltie7 (02-03-2014), Woofens (02-03-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #7
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Nice work!

I can't really help you on the decision of Fair Isle vs. Inertia as I have no experience with either.

I think the problem with the white dog isn't your knitting, but just the fact that it is all white - as Ingrid says it is probably an "optical illusion". Maybe it will look better if you show (by sewing f.ex.) with black or grey a line where on the other dogs the white "collar" starts. That way you might break the big white head a bit. I do not know whether it will look better or not, but it won't be too much work and will be easy to undo so maybe it is worth a try
tabsheltie7 (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
This is such a wonderful project. The squares so far look perfect to me. I think it's a very good idea to try out an intarsia square so that you'll have an idea of what it looks like and you can see if you prefer it over fair isle. Looking at the squares, any uneveness seems like part of the sheltie's coat pattern, a knitting feature, but as Ingrid suggested, blocking may soften some of that.
Thanks for the update on this fascinating project.
tabsheltie7 (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Ooh Tab, big decision to make here! I love the little panels though so maybe keep them for something else as GG suggested if you do decide to rip it all.

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butlersabroad For This Useful Post:
tabsheltie7 (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
tabsheltie7
1st Leg of the Journey

Unfortunately the white dog is bigger, it's not an illusion. From the chest to the back of the neck of the bi color (b/w dog) it's 3 1/2", from the chest to the back of the neck of the double merle (white dog) it's just over 4". Since the problem seems to be around the double merle I'll knit it in intarsia first. Right now I'm knitting a solid green square to see how many rows there'll be so I'll know where to put the dog.

tabsheltie7 on Ravelry