Old 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
dturner
Turning the Heel

Crochet stitch count question
I am new to crochet, and I made this swatch just for practice. I chained 11 for a total of ten stitches. I then crocheted two rows each of single, half-double, double, and triple crochet. Here's my question. After each row, I counted the stitches to make sure that I had the correct number of stitches. After completing the triple crochet rows, I now have 11 posts. Should the number of posts match the number of stitches, or should I count the spaces between the posts?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_crochetswatch.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	57510  
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dturner For This Useful Post:
Frulanuprak (03-14-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,594 Posts
Your stitches look very nice.

You have 11 sts. I had to think and go take a look at a couple of things because it's been so long since I crocheted. Each post is a stitch and that's how I would count them, I'd run my thumb along the row and count each post as I ran my thumb over it. It looks to me as if you have 11 sts in your hdc rows as well. I can't tell when or where the 11th st came in. Are you sure you have 10 sc? It looks like 11 to me.

ETA Looking again, I think on your 1st hdc row you worked an extra stitch at the end of the row, at the top of the photo. There's nothing like another look after hitting "submit" to see something more. LOL

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
dturner (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Very nice and even stitches.

You don't really have 11 stitches in your trc row. If you want you can choose not to count your turning chain as the first stitch of the row.

If you want to count your turning chain as the first stitch, skip the first st of the row and work your 2nd stitch in the 2nd 'hole'. On the next row, work your last stitch into the top chain loop of the turning chain.

HTH

ETA: forgot to directly answer. To count your stitches, count the posts. Oops, brain fade strikes again.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann

Last edited by justplaincharlotte : 01-20-2014 at 05:05 PM.
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
dturner (01-20-2014), GrumpyGramma (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

There are videos on how to work a st and avoid the chain for doubles and trebles. You might try a search and see what you come up with. I would take a look but my internet is so slow today it would take forever.

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Very nice and even stitches.

You don't really have 11 stitches in your trc row. If you want you can choose not to count your turning chain as the first stitch of the row.

If you want to count your turning chain as the first stitch, skip the first st of the row and work your 2nd stitch in the 2nd 'hole'. On the next row, work your last stitch into the top chain loop of the turning chain.

HTH

You nailed it! I was counting 2 sts because...well it looks like 2 sts to me. Yes, the turning chain and a treble or double or half double will look like 2 sts and can easily be treated as such. Good thing, Charlotte, that you saw what I totally spaced on. Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
dturner (01-20-2014), justplaincharlotte (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
dturner
Turning the Heel

Everyone tells me that crochet is easier than knitting, but I just haven't caught on to crochet as easily or as quickly as I did knitting. To make matters worse, I have found conflicting information on some how-to videos that I've watched on YouTube. For example:
I was chaining the following turn chains at the end of my rows:
1 ch before a sc row
2 ch before a hdc row
3 ch before a dc row
4 ch before a tc row

Then, just when I thought I had that part down pat, I found a video that showed chaining 3 before a triple crochet row! I am guessing that crochet was often passed along from person to person, generation to generation, without written instructions. So maybe there are slight variations in the ways people have been taught over the years?

Anyway, back to the original question, thanks for you input. So you both count each post as a stitch?
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

When I chained for turning, I would skip chaining on sc and would just pull the last loop a little larger then work the first st or I would chain and not work a st in the last st of the previous row. For years I thought that was the *right* way and only learned later that it wasn't and old habits are hard to break, and it worked for me. I would ch 1 loosely for hdc, chain 2 loosely for dc, ch 3 loosely for tc. It's simply a matter of what you find works for you and produces the result you prefer. I counted the turning ch as a st and didn't work a new st in top of the last one.

I don't know about Charlotte, I do believe her skills and accomplishments far exceeded mine, but I counted the posts when counting sts, 1 post per st, because I could actually feel them and prefer doing it that way.

My fave videos for crochet were done by Bethintx1. I just liked her and her way of demonstrating. As you watch the videos remember that different people do things differently and come up with very similar results. One thing you might like to learn is the foundation single crochet (you can use the method for dc and hdc also, and though I never did probably tc) which I thought was much better than chaining for a large project and generally gave a much nicer edge.

I think knitting is easier than crochet and I know it's less stressful on my hands and wrists. It could be that's because of how I crocheted and if I worked at it could reduce the stress. Find what works for you and have fun. There are no crochet police.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
dturner (01-21-2014), justplaincharlotte (01-21-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Deb7
Casting On

Originally Posted by dturner View Post
Everyone tells me that crochet is easier than knitting, but I just haven't caught on to crochet as easily or as quickly as I did knitting. To make matters worse, I have found conflicting information on some how-to videos that I've watched on YouTube. For example:
1 ch before a sc row
2 ch before a hdc row
3 ch before a dc row
4 ch before a tc row

Then, just when I thought I had that part down pat, I found a video that showed chaining 3 before a triple crochet row! I am guessing that crochet was often passed along from person to person, generation to generation, without written instructions. So maybe there are slight variations in the ways people have been taught over the years?

Anyway, back to the original question, thanks for you input. So you both count each post as a stitch?
Normally, when you see these conflicting videos, it's a regional difference. There is American crochet, and then there is British crochet. The American single crochet is equal to a British double crochet. The American double crochet is called treble in British. It can be very confusing when first reading a pattern, if you don't know which style it is suppose to be in. :0) Hope this helps you.
Deb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deb7 For This Useful Post:
dturner (01-21-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dturner View Post
1 ch before a sc row
2 ch before a hdc row
3 ch before a dc row
4 ch before a tc row

Those are the correct numbers of ch sts for turning chains before the associated rows. There are more helps (videos/illos) at this link, sponsored by the Crochet Guild of America.

Depending on the pattern, the turning chain either will or will not be counted as a stitch. Thus, you either have 10 stitches + the turning chain, or you have 11 stitches; it depends on what "the designer" (in this case, you ) has instructed.
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
dturner (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
dturner
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Deb7 View Post
Normally, when you see these conflicting videos, it's a regional difference. There is American crochet, and then there is British crochet. The American single crochet is equal to a British double crochet. The American double crochet is called treble in British. It can be very confusing when first reading a pattern, if you don't know which style it is suppose to be in. :0) Hope this helps you.
Thanks! I have seen the treble stitch, but I had assumed that was another way of saying "triple crochet." It's difficult to discern between right, wrong, and "right-but-different" when you're learning!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
dturner
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
My fave videos for crochet were done by Bethintx1. I just liked her and her way of demonstrating. As you watch the videos remember that different people do things differently and come up with very similar results. One thing you might like to learn is the foundation single crochet (you can use the method for dc and hdc also, and though I never did probably tc) which I thought was much better than chaining for a large project and generally gave a much nicer edge.

I think knitting is easier than crochet and I know it's less stressful on my hands and wrists. It could be that's because of how I crocheted and if I worked at it could reduce the stress. Find what works for you and have fun. There are no crochet police.
Thanks, GG! I find that crochet is harder on my hands, too. I thought it was just because I was learning! I'll definitely check out bethintx1's videos.