Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
dturner
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by DogCatMom View Post
Those are the correct numbers of ch sts for turning chains before the associated rows. There are more helps (videos/illos) at this link, sponsored by the Crochet Guild of America.

Depending on the pattern, the turning chain either will or will not be counted as a stitch. Thus, you either have 10 stitches + the turning chain, or you have 11 stitches; it depends on what "the designer" (in this case, you ) has instructed.
I appreciate everyone helping me out with this. I must have crocheted the swatch correctly, because I chained 10 + 1 for the turning chain. That was exactly what was confusing me. My problem was that, for a 10 st swatch, beginning with a sc row, I really should have chained 10.

You have all been very kind to take the time to respond! I think I've got it
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,635 Posts
Originally Posted by dturner View Post
Thanks! I have seen the treble stitch, but I had assumed that was another way of saying "triple crochet." It's difficult to discern between right, wrong, and "right-but-different" when you're learning!

To add to the confusion, American treble crochet and triple crochet are the same thing. It seems I referred to triple crochet as treble crochet without even thinking. Once you get a project or two under your belt it will come easier. Some ambiguities just are and we learn to live with them - in knitting, what is moss stitch?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by dturner View Post
Everyone tells me that crochet is easier than knitting, but I just haven't caught on to crochet as easily or as quickly as I did knitting. To make matters worse, I have found conflicting information on some how-to videos that I've watched on YouTube. For example:
I was chaining the following turn chains at the end of my rows:
1 ch before a sc row
2 ch before a hdc row
3 ch before a dc row
4 ch before a tc row

Then, just when I thought I had that part down pat, I found a video that showed chaining 3 before a triple crochet row! I am guessing that crochet was often passed along from person to person, generation to generation, without written instructions. So maybe there are slight variations in the ways people have been taught over the years?

Anyway, back to the original question, thanks for you input. So you both count each post as a stitch?
I worked mainly in thread and counted my turning chain as my first st as most thread patterns do so, then counted each post thereafter. For sc, I counted the number of loops on top of my stitches as they were easier to see in thread.

In my region, crochet was mainly the needlework passed down through the generations. I have some of my great grandmothers doilies and she used a ch3 for her triples. That said, I didnt learn from her, but from a book and I used the number of chains you listed in your table unless the pattern stated otherwise.

You'll find what works best for you. Everyone crochets a little differently. My great grandmothers chains were a bit large in her trc turns,but not for her doubles. I was a tight crocheter so 4 made more sense for me.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
dturner (02-01-2014)