Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
SleepingCetra
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Skype™ to SleepingCetra
How fast do you knit?
I have come a long way in a short period of time. I have been very active here, hopefully I haven't pestered too many of you too much. :P I have found these forums to be a huge source of help and now I think I would probably say I am at an intermediate skill level. I am not having any problem mastering new stitches I come across in new patterns, but I am wondering if I am slow?

I thought that I was pretty fast, I keep up a decent pace, but I haven't gotten to the point of finishing a project in a day. I am working on a large cowl with a somewhat complicated design pattern and I realized that I was only halfway through after knitting all day. All day. I had been sitting and knitting off and on literally all day.

So, how fast are you? Are you fast because you knit Continental? Do you have any tips or tricks to pick up speed?

I can knit the knit stitch Continental, but I find it very tricky to do other, more complicated stitches without throwing the yarn with my right hand. I think I am going to spend some time on youtube finding tips on how to Continental knit and maybe I will switch.
SleepingCetra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SleepingCetra For This Useful Post:
Unosmotoser (03-15-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
tabsheltie7
1st Leg of the Journey

I knit continental and have been told I'm a fast knitter (I personally think I'm pretty average though), whether or not knitting continental contributes to that, I don't know. If you do want to learn, one tip I can give you is I see some people purling with the yarn in front and wrapped around their left forefinger. I've never liked that, it's awkward and uncomfortable for me. I hold the yarn in front in my left forefinger and thumb. It gives me more control and I don't end up dropping the yarn nearly as much. But everyone's different, it's all what's comfortable to you.

tabsheltie7 on Ravelry

"Did you hear of the pregnant cat who ate a ball of yarn? She had mittens!"
"Went to my doctor, he told me I needed more fiber. So I stopped at the yarn store on my way home."
“SABLE- A common knitting acronym that stands for Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.”
tabsheltie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,044 Times in 2,556 Posts
The faster I knit, the sooner I tink. I knit Continental and if I'm doing endless knit stitches I can go fairly fast I think. If you are more comfortable knitting English style then speed really is secondary IMO. Enjoying the knitting is more important.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (01-30-2014), tabsheltie7 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
tabsheltie7
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
The faster I knit, the sooner I tink. I knit Continental and if I'm doing endless knit stitches I can go fairly fast I think. If you are more comfortable knitting English style then speed really is secondary IMO. Enjoying the knitting is more important.
Totally agree.

tabsheltie7 on Ravelry

"Did you hear of the pregnant cat who ate a ball of yarn? She had mittens!"
"Went to my doctor, he told me I needed more fiber. So I stopped at the yarn store on my way home."
“SABLE- A common knitting acronym that stands for Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.”
tabsheltie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tabsheltie7 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-30-2014), Jan in CA (02-11-2014), justplaincharlotte (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I knit with the yarn in my right hand--that's how I learned, and that's what comes easiest to me. I've been told I'm fast by people who are learning, but I've never timed myself. I work at whatever pace is comfortable in the moment.

Most projects can't be completed in a day, no matter how fast you knit. Baby hats, mittens, etc., sure.

Adult clothing? A pattern that you have to refer to often? Don't think so.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-30-2014), Jan in CA (02-11-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

It depends on what I'm knitting on how fast I am. I knit Portuguese style, and on all purl garter stitch, or stockinette, I'm grateful to have hit close to an average speed of 10 or so stitches a minute. But when you start mixing stitches, and having to count them as you go, it slows me down considerably. I'd much rather take my time so I don't have to frog as often then. But that's me...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (02-11-2014), tabsheltie7 (01-30-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
sapnabanerjee
Casting On

Basically it depends on pattern, fiber, needles and stitches of the sweater. Generally, I am not a fast knitter. I took 6-7 days for knitting a sweater.
sapnabanerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Dari
Ribbing the Cuff

Once I get going, I'm relatively quick. It's just finding the time to actually sit down with my needles that's the hard part!

I have actually found that going to the local bookstore and grabbing a table allows me to pull out my needles for a few hours. If I'm at home, I have so many other things I need to do that I often don't knit very much. But when I escape to the bookstore, I'm pretty quick.

"As an artist, the only thing I have to offer is the revelation of my soul."
-Eleonora Duse

I knit because sometimes it's the only way to keep from strangling stupid people.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Is there a standard for knitting speed, like there is for typing?

I don't know how fast I am relative to other people, since I have never knit alongside anyone else. I am faster relative to my knitting speed several projects ago and even faster relative to my speed after I become comfortable with knitting.

On the other hand, it took me three years to knit an afghan that some people can knit in a weekend, so I guess by *that* measure, I'm pretty slow.

I knit English and I'm comfortable with whatever speed it is I use. I tried out Continental for a while, because I liked the idea of actually holding my yarn in my left hand instead of always picking it up with my right, but knitting that way for me was slow with loose and uneven stitches; I decided I would rather knit with my current method now, with stitches that are compact and consistent, rather than keep practicing to eventually become proficient in the other method.

I would like to go back and give Continental more of a chance, but I don't would not do it for speed, but as a different way to hold the yarn. I miss holding the yarn the way I did when I crocheted and Continental seems to be somewhat similar to that.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
claireweber (03-07-2014), GrumpyGramma (02-10-2014), Jan in CA (02-11-2014), justplaincharlotte (02-10-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Sigh... I've seen super fast English knitters and slow continental knitters. It's actually valuable to know both ways, but people generally knit faster with how they are most comfortable. My go to method is English, but I know both for when I knit fair isle.

As for speed...I knit because I enjoy the process. I'm faster with some things than others, but ultimately I don't care how long it takes.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-11-2014), Woofens (02-11-2014)