Old 02-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Switzerland anyone?
Is there good yarn to be had?

The hubs has a chance to attend a conference in Switzerland in September and I am debating the boys and I travelling along. Would love to know if anyone has been there how hard/wonderful it would be for me to be there is a 4 and 2 y/o.

Last edited by vaknitter : 02-03-2014 at 10:03 PM.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Yard? As in a place for the kids to play or do you mean yarn? Either way I don't know, but thought you could clarify.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-03-2014), justplaincharlotte (02-04-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Jan - I meant yarn....there is tons of green space for the boys hiking etc. Just not sure about travelling abroad with the boys and how "family friendly" Switzerland would be as far as language, food, etc.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I don't know the answers, but that would sure be hard to turn down! As far as food goes I'm sure they have basic stuff like eggs, cheese, milk, etc. If you eat stuff like mac and cheese, cereal, etc. you can take an extra suitcase with stuff like that, too. Sometimes with little ones having some comfort food is a good IDE when in a strange place. Learning about new things and places is good, but when you're a little child it's hard to explain that.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,287 Times in 2,974 Posts
It sounds fabulous! Don't miss the chance to go. We took pre-schoolers all over and let them find exotic food that they loved. I don't think language will be a problem in Switzerland. What part of the country are you going to?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Sounds like a fun trip. What area of the country will you be going to?

Switzerland is a very cosmopolitan country, German, French and Italian are the national languages, obviously not spoken by every single person though. Some areas are more French, other more German, in the bigger cities English is widely used and understood. Younger people have a good grasp of English as it's taught in schools and it's compulsory to also learn one of the other national languages. And with Europe having no borders, you'll find a lot of different nationalities live there too.

Switzerland is NOT a cheap place to go to or live, but they do have the highest wealth per person of any country in the world and have the second highest world life expectancy too. They're also the largest consumers of chocolate in the world, lol! Swiss Chocolate is wonderful!

Food is good but only you know if your boys are picky or will try new things. As to taking an extra bag or taking food with you, only take dried food. I don't know if you've flown internationally recently but the airports have really clamped down and security is high. Lots of things are no longer allowed.

Yarn? Lang is Swiss and most of the yarn stores in Switzerland stock it, some almost to the exclusion of other brands! It can be expensive too, just because nothing is cheap there, not because there's a weird wool tax or something!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butlersabroad For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Have a look at about.ch for other info.

I've heard tales of chocolate taking up entire aisles in their supermarkets, not just a shelf or two!! Sounds like heaven to me!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butlersabroad For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-04-2014), vaknitter (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

What an opportunity!

There are four pages of yarn stores in Ravelry for Switzerland. Manors Department Store comes up quite often in different locations. And from what I can see on their websites, the LYS are amazing!

I think I'd have to look into shipping back to the states, as theres no way I'd come home with little enough yarn to carry on.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Thank you for the sites, I will have to check them out. We have travelled (in the states and Canada) quite a bit with the boys and they are pretty easy to entertain and I wouldn't say they are picky eaters. They do need a daily dairy fix....
To get a straight flight we would fly overnight and I am not sure how that would go.
When my older son was born we stayed in a hotel once and never again! We now rent houses so there is a kid room and non-kid room, kitchen, no cars coming/going at all hours, people above, below and beside us coming/going and watching TV WAY TOO LOUD. Also, having a kitchen w/ fridge is one of the big ways we keep the cost of travelling down.
I will probably have to venture into AAA to see if they can be of any assistance b/c I'm not finding a lot of the info I want about lodging on websites.
My parents want us to leave the boys with them and go alone....it is tempting but I've never even left them overnight so I am not sure I could go 5-7days without seeing my boys.
It's so funny how having kids changes you - before my boys were born I would have purchased the tickets w/out batting an eye. Now I can't fathom buying tickets without knowing every detail.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

oh - and we would be in Pontresina which is just south of Liechtenstein....presumably there is lots of rock climbing nearby as that is the subject of the conference