Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
PurpleDolphinGirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Loop stitch as edging?
Hoping to reach some who both knit and crochet. Have found an adorable beanie pattern for a baby. Hat pattern is knit, but I'm wondering if one could use the crocheted loop stitch around the brim for a frilly edge. Anyone ever tried something similar? I'm not very experienced with crochet beyond the chain and single crochet, so I'm not certain about this loop stitch yet.

AquaDolphin on ravelry.com
PurpleDolphinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Certainly you can crochet an edge on a knitted piece. I don't see why the loop stitch couldn't be used. Just be sure that when you add your edging that it doesn't make the hat band too tight. There is a knitted version of the loop stitch also if you want to look for it. I think they're both interesting and want to try them on something.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I knitted a hat in a class July 2011. The hat was too short for me to wear: it went across the tops of my ears. Bleah.

What it needed was edging. I picked up around the edge, one stitch in each stitch, and did a single crochet in each one. Then I did 2 dc in each sc and 2 dc in each dc, for a total of three rows and about 1.25" extra length for the hat.

For the baby hat, maybe pick up and make 1 sc in every other st around the bottom of the hat (hold the hat upside-down while doing this, since crochet builds from the bottom to the top as held in your hand). That's Row 1.

For loops, multiple chain stitches look nice. I don't know what size of yarn you're working with, but try 3 chain sts between each pair of single crochet sts and connect with the single crochet sts with another sc.

Here are the suggested directions in "normal crochet pattern language":

Round 1: Pick up and sc in every other st of knitted cap. Slip st to close first round.
Round 2: (ch 3, sc in sc) *OR* (ch 5, sc in sc) around cap. After last sc, slip st to first ch of ch 3 to close Round 2 and fasten off.

Of course, if you'd like more loops, more can be made!
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #4
PurpleDolphinGirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I just now looked up the how-to video on the knitted version of loop stitch...that looks tricky. But then, so does the crochet version at this moment in time. I foresee several practice swatches in my near future..

Old 02-20-2014, 02:19 AM   #5
PurpleDolphinGirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I suppose the other slight concern I have is not making these loops too small or too big...I'd hate to hear that baby got her fingers caught in one.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
What about a picot edging on the brim? It gives a finished look and there wouldn't be loops to catch fingers.
justplaincharlotte (02-27-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

There's nothing cut in stone that says you can't combine knitting and crochet. I love to crochet mittens for my granddaughter. I think they turn out better than my knit ones. I like to make mine from the top down. But I don't like the front post, back post finish for the cuff. What I like to do is pick up stitches with a knitting needle and finish it off in a k1, p1 rib.
justplaincharlotte (02-27-2014)