As I was finishing my navy muffler in the welt and rib, I wanted to see if I could use the same pattern and make a beanie. Impatiently, I cast on in a color I wasn't using on some standby needles to work out a prototype that I could gift to a friend. All in all, it worked out OK, but I'm not entirely happy with how I did the decreases. Starting at the crown, I k2tog before and after the diagonal ribbed sections on every other row. I was going for a general right slant to match the pattern, but next time I think I might try to decrease the ribbed sections as well, so they get pointier near the top. My friend wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but I put a big pom on top just in case
I'm not sure where I found the link for this rippenschal scarf pattern
, but those diagonal bands looked so interesting that I wanted it to be my next project. After working the pattern a few times, I think I actually like the "wrong side" of the scarf more. The waves created behind the cabled ribs are subtler, which is nice. I opted for the 40 stitch variation, rather than the 60 stitch one. It's a bit skinnier than I like, but I also used smaller needles than I should have
. I'm hoping a light steam will loosen it up a bit.