Old 03-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
MissCW
Casting On

Help for newbie with shaping on lace pattern
Hi everyone,

Could someone help me with a pattern problem before my half finished cardigan gets thrown to the back of the cupboard never to be seen again?

I'm doing a lace pattern for the first time and I've been getting on OK until I get to the shaping.

I've had to decease and now I've run out of purl stitches I am totally stuck on this row. I will type the row out in full if that's OK.

P5, *YON, K1, YFWD,YRN, P4 repeat from * to last 2 sts, YON, K1, YFWD, YRN, P1

At this point, I've decreased 6 stitches so now the one I need to lose (I think!) is the YON stitch.

I've had a go myself and went straight in at the K1 but this didnt work and my lace pattern went out.

I just don't understand how to keep the lace pattern while doing this. I could do with understanding how to do it generally because it gets more complicated towards the top when the lace pattern becomes diagonal and I dont get it at all what I'm supposed to do. I'm stuck at the bottom where the lace pattern is still sort of easy! My pattern is the King Cole DK 3280 so you will see what I mean.

Thank you!!
MissCW is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

You're making a cardigan, so I assume that when you decrease you are doing so evenly and at the ends of rows (if working flat) or at the seams (if working in the round).

If your lace pattern/row has 20sts, and you decreased 4, DON'T start on the 5st for the next row. This wil cause your pattern to be offset (diagonal).

You should start on the 3rd st (thus removing 2 from the start and 2 from the end of the row). i.e. Keep the remainder of the row centered on itself.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
There's a couple of ways to work these decreases. You're doing the right thing by eliminating the YON and going to the K1. That'll decrease one stitch for the next rows which probably have some decreases in pattern. The easiest way to figure out where to start the pattern is to look at the previous rows, read your knitting and see how to continue the eyelets so that the pattern doesn't break. Sometimes it helps the count across the row backwards to figure out where to start.
Another way to do it is to eliminate one repeat of the pattern at the edge and work that area in purl sts just as the pattern row originally began with the P5. Then you continue with a full pattern repeat at the next column of eyelets.

It's much too pretty a sweater to sit in a closet.
http://www.deramores.com/cardigans-i...-moods-dk-3280
Old 03-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
MissCW
Casting On

Hi again,

I just wanted to come on and thank you for your replies, I actually went wrong in the end and have had to start again (!!). Arrrghh!! I've just learned a valuable lesson about life lines in lace patterns ha ha.

It really is a pretty cardigan but I think it will get one last go and if I still go wrong I may have to leave it until I have a bit more experience. It's a shame really because I'm fine with the stitches, it's just the shaping, I really can't seem to get to grips with it.

I think when the time comes the easiest way would be for me to eliminate the repeat and just purl it like you suggested, that's a great tip so thank you! That could mean it actually gets finished :D

This will teach me for getting the hang of cable and thinking I could do it all lol!
MissCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
You can do, I'd bet. There is nothing wrong with doing it later if it works out that way. Today might not be the right day and another will be. If it's a pattern you love, revisit it if you decide this isn't the right time. The more you knit, the better you get, the better you get the more confidence you'll have.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:12 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
Agreed. If you like a picture of what is happening with the shaping, it may also help to chart the pattern and then plan out the decreases. Sometimes seeing it on paper helps.