Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Autumn Shawl deisgned by Lijuan Jing plus Math?
I purchased this pattern from Jojoland.com. The entrelac shawl is now completed and you add a cobweb frill by Barbara Walker (Second Treasury of Knitting). I've tried to find a way to contact Lijuan Jing and haven't found a way. My question is this:

The shawl edge has 405 stitches and the cobweb frill has 250.7 or 251 stitches.
((Originally the frill had a cast on of 376 but at one point you have to drop a certain amount of stitches, so I divided 376 by 3 which gave me 125.3 and subtracted that from 376 to give me 250.7))
I am suppose to attach the frill to two edges of the shawl by taking one stitch from the cobweb and one from the shawl and knitting the two together. My math shows me that every 1.5 stitches from the shawl is suppose to be knit together with the frill but that won't work. Does anyone have any idea how I should try and do this????? I have placed markers every 20 stitches on the shawl edges. Thanks in advance.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could knit the st together twice, then skip one. That should give you the same ratio. It's like picking up sts where you pick up 2, then skip 1.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Sheri (10-24-2008)
Old 10-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks - I'll let you know how it all works out. I now have an email address for Ms Jing. I'll be interested in what she says .... it would have been so easy for her to have to total stitches written down and the ratio so all who purchased the pattern didn't have to do all the counting and then wondering if our math was right. Thanks again. Sheri
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
BOLLENAJ
Casting On

Autum Shawl
I am having problems with the edging. I have knitted the edging but
for some reason after I dropped the stitches it does not make the loops at the bottom. Did I cast on incorrectly or what? I don't want to rip it if I don't have to. Please help me. The stitches ravel out but there just isn't the loop.
BOLLENAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Weatherby2
Casting On

It took me awhile but ... when you drop the stitch then or later you must pull the stitch in each row out all the way to the cast on row. Then after you've sewn the frill onto the triangle you block your shawl. When you do this you pin each loop out and away and when it dries you will have the cobweb effect including the looped edge Barbara Walker designed.
Weatherby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
zanitfox
Casting On

adding cobweb frill border issue
Hi, I just finished this shawl pattern also. I can tell you it is almost impossible to add the border with the # of stitches remaining. It is simply too short in my opinion. Here is what I had to do to make this work. I ended up loosely casting off the cobweb frill. Then I had to attach this border via crochet (loosely) to the scarf bottom. It had to be stretched to the max during blocking in order for scarf to turn out according to finished measurement on pattern. I am a professional knitter and crocheter, seamstress and you name it. My gauge is exact to the pattern requirement and this simply does not work out after all your hard work. I did the best I could with this so as not to have to start border over. A suggestion might be to make a notation on pattern to add more stitches to frill border prior to knitting in the first place. I might also add you practically have to soak your piece to the max to get it to stretch to the dimensions. I had to pull on this to the point of no return. As far as I am concerned I think having 12 balls would have given me enough yarn to work this the correct way. I was not able to upload a photo for you to see. But I am not pleased with the results. There is simply too much shawl for the border length to handle. I don't know about you but I normally remove the slightest error. Right now I am too discusted with this whole thing. I have also found in most patterns the designers do not like to share their secrets. There is no way this would look like the one in the photo. Even the color waves are more abundant in the photo included. Also it does not fit a larger woman - there is no mention of size. Again the one in the photo appears to look plenty large. I will say this. If you do not add the border the shawl will block the way it should. Mine is now scrunched into a border that doesn't fit. Sometimes when they make kits they want them to be afordable - usually means cutting back on yarn included. I had plenty of yarn, but then some people would not have enough. This is what I think happened - being that the border was the last item to be knitted they made it shorter in the instructions - otherwise people might complain about running out of yarn. Quite frankly I could have added a few more stitches - but would have just made it by the time the border was finished. Keep this in mind when purchasing kits. Plan to need more to do the job right. This is a beautiful shawl, but I would think twice about making this again especially without some adjustments. Good luck - it can be done - however again - not the right way is my opinion.
zanitfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
Zanitfox....welcome!

This is a 4 yr old thread so most of the people are no longer active here. Also...when posting if you break up your post into paragraphs it's a LOT easier to read. One big chunk of text like this is hard and people may not bother.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
KnitWitRunner
Casting On

Shawl Border Issue & How I Resolved It
I had the same experience as Zantifox with the cobweb fringe. When attached as directed, it created a pucker at the point of the triangle, which was totally unacceptable.

So...I made 2 fringe extensions of 61 stitches each and grafted these to the main fringe via crochet hook on either side. I am now ready to attach said fringe to the main shawl. BTW, I did end up binding off the fringe and plan to attach with a crochet hook. This makes the fringe fit perfectly. For future reference, I would cast on 499 stitches for the cobweb fringe. This should give enough length to attach the fringe to the shawl as directed. Whew.
KnitWitRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnitWitRunner For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,503 Times in 3,178 Posts
Thanks very much for the help with this. Would you like to post a photo of the finished shawl over on What'cha Knittin'? Be fun to se it actually worked out.