Old 07-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
Secuono
Ribbing the Cuff

Carding Issue?
I couldn't find a forum for carding and such, but maybe someone here can help me.

Just started learn to hand card my own wool so I can felt with it, but have one issue that I'm unsure about.

The wool I'm currently using is 1in unstretched. Almost 1.5in stretched and released. And under 2in when held taught. When carding, I get a double layer effect. I can't figure out if this is because of the short fiber or if I'm doing it wrong. I just found a tiny abount of 2.5-3in wool to test and see if it also 'layers' or not, but it's still being washed.

Here is a picture. I remove the pills/naps as I find them, forgot to do so before taking this picture.
Anyway, you can see the layering pretty clearly here.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-02 11.16.26.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	59134  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

When you say 'double layer' are you meaning your carded wool looking like 2 separate pieces of carded wool??

Are you carding on hand cards? Where it is thin between the 2 pieces, add more wool to fill in, or put the two separate pieces one on top of each other and make sure you are carding gently and evenly across your hand cards.

You want to be barely touching the wires between the two hand cards, not mashing them together.

Does this help at all?

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (07-10-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Secuono
Ribbing the Cuff

Looks like staggered layers of wool, thick in the middle, thinner out on the top and bottom. Does the picture above not work?

Flat hand carders, 90.

I ended up trying random stuff myself and eventually ended up doing it like this video clearly shows. But it still isn't all that nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTT55COVsME

And doing it this way, this is what they ended up looking like. More even-ish.

The last picture is when I just twisted one end and brushed it out, then flipped it and brushed the other end. 100% even. So, that's what I'll be doing from now on, the twist n brush.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	m.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	59143  Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	59144  Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	59145  
Old 07-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Beth gives a nice example in the Schacht video however she likes to stay at the end of the carder instead of using the whole carding cloth.

I can't remember is Beth describes the parts of the had card ... the end by the handle is called the 'heel' of the card and the opposite side is call the 'toe' of the card.

You can load the whole card (instead of just half the card) and use the same technique that Beth shows, carding with just the 'toe' of the carder.

Another way to use the whole carding cloth is to load the whole card. Remember less is more, do not over load! Place the heel of the top carder over the heel of the bottom carder (handles in opposite directions) and gently move the top carder towards the toe of the bottom carder. You want to barely mesh the two carders. Do this a few times.

Next, you will remove the rest of the fiber from the bottom card.
To do this, place the 'toe' of the bottom card over the heel of the top card, handles in the same direction and gentle move the toe in the direction of the other toe.

This allows you to get to the 'other side' of the fiber you are carding.

Repeat this carding until you are happy!

Muller's Lane Farm
Old 07-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Ruth MacGregor has a great video for hand carding. This is closer to how I do it

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Zp_fIc5lCuk[/YOUTUBE]

The one thing you'll learn about the fiber arts is there is absolutely no one way to do anything!! What works for baby southdown may or may not work for lincoln longwool, alpaca, merino, romney, buffalo, cotton, etc etc etc

There are many, many, many ways to get to the same goal. We all find what works best for us using the fiber we're working with.

This video shows what I was trying to describe in my last comment about removing the fiber from the bottom card.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/YXcu04XLlBU[/YOUTUBE]

I don't like the way this lady handles her cards ... too rough in my opinion, but hey! I'm not the one that will have to replace her hand cards when the teeth get bent.

Muller's Lane Farm
Old 07-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
Secuono
Ribbing the Cuff

The end is all I use.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Secuono
Ribbing the Cuff

The wool is one to one and a half inches long that I am currently using.

If I use the whole card, it mats.

I do as the lady in the video I linked. Place wool at the end of the card and brush the wool that hangs off with the other card in a down and back, then up and back motion. Video shows and explains it better than I.

But I am now twisting 1/3 of the wool, brushing out the 2/3 and then flipping and brushing out the other end. It's working very easily and nicely. I am not trying to make rolag, as I do not spin. I just want to brush out the wool to make felt for now.

I'll have long wool, 3-4in, next spring when I have my flock shorn. Until then, I'll keep watching videos and occasionally messing with my short wool.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Secuono
Ribbing the Cuff

Pictures of carded and brushed wool.
http://s34.photobucket.com/user/secu...?sort=3&page=1
Old 07-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Nice!!!

Do you spin also?? Drop spindle or wheel?

If you're just beginning, you'll appreciate the longer length staple from next year.

If you already spin, you already know this

Keep messing with this wool. It develops your hand memory. You can try different methods with it, the sheep will just keep making more wool, right?

I'm thinking if you had higher TPI cards, you probably wouldn't have to deal with the matting when using shorter staples.

The higher the TPI, the finer & shorter the fiber you can card.

You can always card coarser & longer fiber with a high TPI card but you cannot card fine & short fiber with a low TPI card.

Have fun with the fiber & the sheep ... I took a look at them on your photobucket page ... cuties.

Muller's Lane Farm
Old 07-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
Secuono
Ribbing the Cuff

I just started, all I do is brush the super short wool, stuff it into a box and move onto the next bit of wool. Made one felt pad, after lots of trial and error. Ended up looking sort of like a bison, didn't intend for it to look like anything other than felted.

I used to know how to knit a scarf, but I don't wear them, so I stopped making them and forgot how to make them by now.

I got the 90 cards because I read somewhere I should get the higher numbered ones for Babydoll wool, but I didn't have the cash available at the time to get anything more than the 90s. =/

I want to make a 1/2-3/4 inch thick felted pad, but no one knows how much wool I'll need to layer for that thickness....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	b.jpg
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	59150  Click image for larger version

Name:	bb.jpg
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	59151